Chocolate Robots (Death Note Oneshots)

Hai! Whenever I get bored, and it's around 2am, I end up writing a Death Note oneshot. So I decided I might as well put them up here, so others can judge me and wonder what I'm doing with my life, and when I will collapse from sleep depravation. Anyway, here is the first of hopefully many. Or not, depending on how good they are.

-

Chocolate Robots

NearxMello.

Personally, I prefer MelloxMatt, but this was written for a dear friend of mine who also made the cover for me.

So yeah, special thanks to Shinigamichan. (Did I spell that right? .-.)

---

Unknown to Matt, Mello and Near had a game. It was a simple game, with simple rules.

Whoever manages to push the other off the brink first? Wins.

Matt had gone out to see the crime scene of a case they were all working on. Normally that would be Mello's job, but he had to go through a large list of suspects, sorting out aliases.

He also had to narrow the list down, but that could only be done with the new information Matt would be coming back with. And Matt would be a while, considering Mello wouldn't let him use his precious motorcycle.

Mello quickly sorted out who had aliases and what their real names were. So now he was stuck in here with the albino snow queen, with nothing productive to do.

Near was different to the other two. They were as close as brothers, and often ganged up on Near and bullied him, calling him all sorts of things. Matt would occasionally remind him that they were only joking, though.

Near often wondered if something more was going on between Matt and Mello, but would quickly push it aside. For some reason it didn't wash well with him. He decided it was simply the fact that he was uncomfortable with the thought of his two closest things to friends doing... Stuff. It didn't seem right. But there was something else there too...

Near's hands flew around the keyboard of his computer as he did some background research on the case. It wasn't really necessary, but he had finished his work a while ago and like Mello, needed the extra information from Matt to carry on.

Mello watched Near as he typed. He had finished before that stuck up 'number 1'. That had to count for something! He walked up to the pale figure, wondering what to do. How far could he take this game?

Near carried on typing, pretending he hadn't noticed Mello. He enjoyed their game too; he had to admit it was quite amusing. Seeing Mello lose control, as he often did, would put Near in a good mood for the rest of the day.

Mello stood directly behind Near's chair and shoved his hand in his pocket, bringing out a small plastic bag. He turned the bag upside down and emptied its contents of chocolate shavings all over Near's pristine white hair.

Near did not move, nor did he make a sound. Slowly, he reached up and picked up a small amount from his head. He looked up at Mello, placing the chocolate in his mouth and making an exaggerated "Mmmm" sound. The only thing he liked more than annoying Mello like this was to make his own plans backfire.

Mello scowled at him. Near simply stared back, his expression almost completely blank, but not quite. Suddenly, Mello's cellphone rang.

"Yeah? Oh, hey Matt! How's the crime scene? Not too gory for you, I'm hoping? That's good. So, have you managed to gather any information?"

Near felt the slight sting of jealousy run through him as they talked on the phone. What did Matt possess that he did not?

When the conversation ended, Near couldn't help but ask.