Chapter 14

The next morning she woke up alone, no warm body next to hers.

She wandered into the kitchen and found him hovering over a cup of tea.

“ I didn’t tell you yesterday-  I got a raise” she gave a little smile before sitting next to him.

He nodded, wrapping a hand around the steaming cup.

“Whats wrong Harry?’

“Nothing”

She rolled her eyes and reached for a tea.

“why aren’t you happy?” she nudged him

“I don’t know, try asking Ricky? Maybe he’ll be happy for you. But if you were with him you wouldn’t need a raise, you’d never have to lift a finger” he grumbled.

“How can you say that” Emma’s eyebrows furrowed

“You left me to spend the night with him and you didn’t even have the decency to tell me” he snapped.

She pushed the stool back and stormed into the room, banging shelves and drawers, angrily tugging out clothes.

“And where exactly are you going?”

“Home” She replied bitterly

“Then you’re asking yourself the exact same thing I am- where is home?”

“I’m just leaving”

“you cant-“

“watch me”

“where, Emma?” his face softened

“Anywhere but here”

she pushed past him and he followed her out into the hallway.

There was a three foot distance between them physically, but emotionally it seemed oceans wide.

“Its pouring” he motioned outside

“Its just water”

“Why are you doing this, Em?” He rubbed his neck and closed his eyes, picturing their happiest memories.

He re opened them

“I’m tired of the weather” She let out, not daring to look at him in the eye.

“That’s why youre leaving me, beacause youre tired of the weather”

“I’m just tired”

“Fine. Leave” he shook his head

A small tear rolled unnoticed down her hot cheek.

She turned, dragging the duffel bag behind her and walked out the door.

Rain pelted over her head and on her hair as she walked over to the Record shop.

She sat outside, back pressed up against the cold glass, water dripping off her hair.

Fat drops of rain fell down the window, in sync with the fat tears down her cheeks.

*

**