Chapter 20

As I leave Rico on the staircase, I head for my bedroom. That's when I hear someone crying. I stop in the center of the wide hall, surprised to see the door next to my bedroom open. It's never open. It's never been open the entire time I've been here.

More sobbing has me creeping towards the door wondering who's inside since everyone is down stairs for Rico's party. I take a step closer, twisting my arm around my back to zip my dress up. "Is everything ok in there?"

Someone snivels. "Yes, dear, I'm just having a moment away from everyone."

It's Nonna. "Are you ok? Can I help with anything?"

"Come in dear."

I enter the large suite; stark white walls and dark mahogany furnishings fill the room. "I thought you were still downstairs," I say.

She doesn't glance at me as she sits on the large bed rubbing her thumb across the band on a silver watch. "I needed a moment... I haven't been up here in days. Coming in here gives me a sense of being closer to him."

Since I'm unsure of who she's referring to, I clear my throat and say, "Who's that?"

She looks up at me and smiles through wet eyes. "Grey, of course. This was his room." She looks around. "His personal space. I've not touched anything other than his watch."

Why have I not wondered where Grey's room was before. Not that I would have expected it to be next to mine. "It's a lovely room." I tell her, since I'm not sure what else to say. "Is that why my room is next to his?"

She waves a hand at me. "No. The room is better than the others, is all. Which is why Rico put you there."

That's takes me by surprise. "Rico picked the room?"

"Yes, he did. He could have put you in one of the smaller rooms, but he gave you the biggest and the best."

And here I was thinking he put me at the other end of the hall to keep us apart.

Nonna wipes the tears from her eyes and then blows her nose on a blue hanky. "One day my grandsons are alive and healthy and the next, one is dead and the other shot. Having Rico back means so much to me, but I haven't even processed losing Grey. It's a lot for an old woman. I'm trying to stay strong but sometimes it's hard and I need a moment. Which is why I'm up here."

"You've been through so much," I say, "And yet you're able to stay strong. You're amazing."

She waves a hand at me with a gentle smile on her lips. "You're sweet dear. But I have no choice but to keep it together. If I fall apart, God only knows what would happen with my grandkids and Mancini business. Plus, it keeps my mind busy."

"I wonder how different things would be if Grey hadn't offered to marry me," I say. "Rico would be free to do as he wants... who knows, Gia might even like me if I was Grey's wife and not Rico's." When my eyes connect with the silver photo frame on the dresser, my eyes narrow, and even though I cannot see the picture inside, the frame looks familiar.

"Do you really want Gia to like you?"

I smile and then shake my head. "No. But I regret messing Rico's life up-forcing him to marry me."

"You didn't force him. No one did. Rico had a choice, and he married you."

"Not that he wanted to, though. And I'm sorry he had to. I'm sorry Grey offered to marry me, too. Sometimes I wonder why he did. I mean, I could never thank him enough for wanting to save my family the way he did. I'll forever be grateful for that. But I sometimes wonder why he offered?"