Fireworks That Never End

You met Chishiya at one of the summer festivals held in your neighbourhood, when the two of you were about nine or ten. 

The festival was alight with spun sugar and sheet cakes, a ferris wheel spinning slowly overhead as soft music danced on the wind. The air was dark yet summery; it was full of a condensed kind of warmth that came from a fairground full of people and laughter, with candy apples and crepes being shared among friends. Festivalgoers pattered happily past, their snatches of conversation drifting up into the afternoon sky.

You had gazed upon the scene with obvious envy, the singular candy apple in your hand seeming to highlight your solitude; you had only just moved into the area, and hadn't had the chance to make any new friends yet. Besides, most of the kids at the festival were accompanied by their families. Yours would never deign to come. 

A small sigh escaped your lips. It was better to be here than home, you supposed, where the atmosphere was lively and bright. Your eyes did one more sweep of the fairground, searching for a place to perhaps sit and inconspicuously enjoy your candy apple. 

It was then that you'd caught sight of Chishiya, sitting on the ledge of the stone wall that surrounded the fairground. 

You were surprised to see him there, considering there was no way his father would have made an appearance at such a local event. Later on you would learn that Chishiya never spoke much about himself or his family, but even then you could tell something was off. Everyone knew who his father was, even you  - Chishiya Shuntaro's father ranked among the highest medical professionals in the country. He had appeared many times on TV, his persona cold and clinical. He never seemed to act like he had a son, and this left little to the imagination about Chishiya's home life. 

And sure enough, Chishiya was alone, chewing absentmindedly on some strawberry confection. His expression was so placid it astonished you - it looked as if he had been taught to show nothing on his face at all. His mask cracked, only slightly, when his eyes glimmered as he bit into a strawberry. 

You glanced around the festival once more and then back at the candy apple you held, scuffing your heels against the ground distractedly. Could this be your chance to make a new friend? You frowned. But what would you even say to him? You had wanted someone to share festival snacks with, yet the infamous son of Japan's prized medic wasn't exactly who you'd been looking for. Besides, he looked busy enough with his strawberry crepe. 

Perhaps you could go catch goldfish instead. 

Ah! At this you recalled the orange goldfish booth, and its cardboard sign painted with bright letters that spelled out Free Entry for Groups of Two or More. You chew the inside of your cheek. You had a 100 yen coin, sufficient entry for one, but you hope that the tantalizing offer of free things would entice Chishiya to join you. 

It felt as if the summer breeze was spurring you on, your small footsteps light on the ground until you stood before the blonde. His gaze flickered to you curiously but he said nothing, peering at you over his crepe. It seemed that Chishiya's eyes were a little more expressive than the rest of his face, inquisitive and flecked with light. He has pretty eyes, you remember thinking. 

"Do you want to come catch goldfish with me?" you asked with a smile. 

Chishiya simply stared at you for a moment before raising his brows in question, and you realised that you had entirely skipped the hi-my-name-is part of the interaction. Did that count as a grave social error? "Ah," in attempt to amend your mistake you waved in the direction of the goldfish stall, indicating the bright orange sign. "Groups of two or more get free entry," you explained. 

Chishiya pressed his lips into a line after mouthing an ah of understanding, a slight frown creasing his forehead. He then took an agonisingly slow bite of his crepe, eyeing you as he munched the mouthful of strawberry confectionary. "Okay," he finally said, swallowing, "but why me?"