chapter 1

Lightning strikes again, and I actually feel the roll of thunder under my feet. 

"Do you know what the best part of you all's damn life is?" Sergeant Roy asked.

An aircraft zoomed through the sky.

"No, sir!" We yelled.

"Ya'll get to fight for it every day. Now get out there!" He said.

Two Days Earlier

"Carlo, get up now. Ya'll leaving in the next three hours and I have to get you to the airport." Carlo's older sister, Jayla, quietly told him as it was only 5:45 in the morning. 

"Alright." Carlo yawned before opening his eyes. He remembered Jayla started doing a paid internship at the Northside Community Health Center in Fort Worth and she had to be there at 8AM specifically. He wasn't bothered by how early it was because he still needed to pack some things. After stretching, he lazily looked for everything he still needed to pack in his brown duffel bag.

 It was 6:32 when Jayla called for him to get in the car. Carlo had already been dressed, wearing baggy jeans with an oversized Nike hoodie, Air Force 1s, and his bag was packed to the fullest. He sped walk out of his room with his bag over his shoulder.

 "You got everything?" his mom walked over to him and started checking. 

"Yeah, mom." Carlo stopped while she looked through everything.

"ID?" She looked at him. 

"Back pocket." He said. "Right or left side?" Carlo's dad said, coming from the kitchen. "Right." Carlo sighed. "Nope, left." His dad pointed with coffee in his hand, at the wallet's outline. 

"Oh, right." Carlo looked back. "You gotta remember things like that, ok?" His dad patted his head with his free hand and both his parents walked with him to the garage door. "Ok" Carlo agreed.

"Alright, be safe." His dad hugged him, while his mom hugged him tight and showered him with kisses.

Jayla double pressed the horn when they left the driveway. Their parents can be seen disappearing in the fog of the rearview mirror. Carlo observed outside. It was still pitch black and foggy but he knew the sun would just began to rise once they reached the airport. It wasn't his first time traveling, but his first time without his parents or Jayla. Carlo thought of how it would be if he drove himself. There's three reasons why that wouldn't work. (1) The parking fee at the airport would be coming out of his allowance. (2) Jayla needs the car to get to work while he's in Washington, DC. (3) He doesn't have his license or even a permit yet.

Jayla turned to look at him then back at the road. Carlo caught a glimpse of her through the passenger window reflection. 

"What?" he almost laughed. 

"Oh, nothing. You just seem a bit different. Older maybe?" Jayla sounded sad. 

Carlo paused for a second. "Welp, I'm not a kid anymore right?" he nudged her shoulder. 

"Yeah, I can name all the reasons you'd be mistaken for like... a college student." Jayla made a turn, heading onto the interstate. 

"Yeah?" Carlo said in disbelief. 

"For sure." She said. 

"Alright." Carlo shrugged. 

Jayla brought up him being 6 feet tall first and went on about his blonde buzzed hair, then his sense of style. Because everything she said was true, they were a laughing stock until they were only ten minutes from the airport. Carlo's phone pinged.

Reggie: Ugh, that sunrise is gorgeous. I don't think I wanna leave ya'll.

Carlo laughed quietly at Reggie's message from the group chat, then looked out the window as the sun beamed in his eyes. He blinked and faced away from the sun.

Carlo: lol, DC's sunrises are probably just as perfect there too. How far is everyone?

Desiree: imma be there in five 

Reggie: same

Jay: Jia and I haven't even left yet, transportation issues

Jia: yeah... we'll be there soon

Leena: bro I'm already here lmaoo

Carlo watched the messages come in.

Carlo: alr imma be there in ten and we really aint in no rush. plane don't leave til 8:45

Jia: yeah, that's enough time to get there, check-in, and get through security

Reggie: yeah, we good on timing

Carlo put his phone away.

The sound of an airplane filled the car and both Jayla and Carlo eyed it.

"You remember what to do if there's danger?" Jayla slowed the car down a bit, staying within the speed limit.

"Yes, call one of you guys." Carlo said, turning to look at her with all seriousness.

"Carlo...you call every single one us, alright?" Jayla said.

"I don't care what mom, dad, or me is doing. You call." Jayla tapped her index finger on the steering wheel.

"Ok," Carlo agreed, thinking she was being a bit dramatic, "I will."

"And don't forget what dad told you this morning. It's important." Jayla increased the speed of the car, heading down to terminal A.

"I won't. Don't worry, this trip is only for a week. I'll be back in no time for real." Carlo went to the group chat on his phone and told everyone he's at the airport.

Carlo watches Jayla drive off, she waves at him before turning to exit the airport's departure terminals. Entering through the automatic doors, he sees everyone who made it talking about something.

"Hey, everybody!" Carlo walks with his duffel bag over his shoulder.

"Aye, my boy Carlo is here!" Reggie slapped Carlo's hand and hugged him.

Carlo went to sit and joined in the convo.

"We still waiting on the twins?" Carlo said.

"Yeah, Jia texted that they're on their way." Desiree said.

Everyone nodded slowly in agreement.

"Oh! Almost forgot to tell you. The principal is here." Reggie said.

"Really, why?" Carlo questioned.

"Well, he says he has to escort us through the airport." Reggie checked his phone.

Carlo made a confusing face and side eyed them.

"Yea, it doesn't make sense." Leena said.

"As if we haven't all flown on an airplane before, and I heard he never escorted any other grade level going on a class trip outside the state, until now."

"Shit don't make sense." Reggie said.

"Have y'all seen or talked to him yet?" Carlo said.

"Not really. He just said, "I'm here to escort y'all." No reason or anything." Reggie impersonated the principal's voice.

Carlo almost laughed until he saw the principal walking towards him. He cleared his throat to get their attention.

"Carlo..how's everything? Good?" The principal said.

"Yes, sir." Carlo watched his friends before answering.

The principal nodded without breaking eye contact with Carlo.