IIII

Time had just ticked over into early evening by the time Sam and Bucky were walking up the steps of the New York sanctum on Bleeker Street to knock on the grand wooden doors.

When he'd left yesterday, Bucky didn't think that they'd be at the final stages of his plan already. Visiting Stephen Strange was the last step in finding out why Wanda was in his dreams.

Convincing Sam hadn't taken half as long or as much effort as he'd been expecting. He thought he'd have to do a lot more talking to get him to even consider that this was a thing.

Now here they were, waiting for a wizard to open the door and explain everything away. A breeze whipped around the street, rustling the leaves and slipping through his hair and across his face, he could've sworn he heard a whisper of his name.

He needed a good night sleep.

The wooden doors creaked open, seemingly on their own because there was no one in the vicinity, except two people cleaning near the staircase.

The men were having a silent conversation with their eyes, trying to make the other step first into the haunted house.

When Sam shook his head vehemently, Bucky rolled his eyes and walked over the threshold. Sam hovered behind for a second, and when the other man didn't get killed by a ghost or demon, he entered too.

"Uhh hello?" Bucky cautiously asked the two people sweeping. They looked up, pausing, but never spoke.

"Hi" a booming voice echoed, causing both men to jump. Stephen Strange was floating down the stairs like it was a completely natural thing. There was a woman standing at the top, whose favourite colour was apparently purple.

"Stephen, long time no see" Sam greeted.

"Nice to see you both, Sam, Barnes, or is it Bucky now?" he landed before them.

"Barnes is fine."

"Okayy. Well, what brings you here?"

"We need your help" Sam said.

"I don't do 'avengers' shit anymore, I've had enough for any lifetime" the wizard air quoted.

"That's not why we're here" Sam answered. Bucky's eyes were trained on the woman looking down at them. Her clothes and hair and entire look made her seem alien.

"Then why are you here?" a golden portal spun open beside Strange and an Asian man stepped out.

"Sam, Barnes, this is Wong. The sorcerer supreme" he added the last part reluctantly.

"I thought you were the sorcerer supreme?" Sam questioned.

"I disappeared indefinitely for five years, the mantle had to be passed on."

"Was the bow a one time thing?" Wong asked his friend, then turned back to the visitors. "What do you need?"

"It's not us so much him" Sam jerked his head over to Bucky, who dragged his eyes away from the mostly blonde woman to look at his peers.

"What can we do for you, Mr Barnes?"

"I need to know why I'm dreaming of someone" Bucky spoke, already feeling ridiculous.

"Why you're...dreaming?" Strange seemed unbelieving.

"Uhh you see, when you sleep your brain.."

"You're here because you're dreaming!? Go to a psychiatrist or a psychologist or therapist!"

"They're not just dreams!" he raised his voice slightly to get the attention back on his problem.

Strange pivoted, glancing at the purple lady, before motioning for them to follow him further into the sanctum. "Come with me."