Chapter 2: refined arrogance

Shoto Todoroki

It would be a lie to say that I particularly wanted to start my first shift overnight at the prison. Not because I wasn't looking forward to starting to work, but because tonight would have to be the night where I powered through, where I went without sleep until my shift ended so that I could adapt my schedule to prepare me for the rest of the week. That made tonight a very unpleasant prospect.

I was, however, incredibly eager to get started once I entered the actual prison. I didn't have an office, as such, but there was a quiet room that I could use to talk privately to whomever requested council, both inmates and staff, throughout the night. It was pretty much the only complete privacy that inmates were permitted, although there were the necessary precautions to keep me safe. The room was practically split in two, only a small gap in the glass down the middle for items to be exchanged. On my side, there was furniture, a laptop, my tools for working; on the other side, there was simply a chair, bolted down to the floor.

It would be a rather sinister sight to anyone who wasn't prepared for this. But to me, it was exactly what I'd dreamed of. I'd wanted to be in a room like this - on the side that I was, of course - for years, and I finally was. And I didn't have a great while to settle in before I got my first e-mail telling me there was an inmate on the way.

Shinji Nakamura; 36 years old; Murdered his wife after he caught her in bed with his brother 12 years ago; Life with option of parole after 18 years; This week marks halfway through his sentence, and it's affecting him badly.

That's as much as I had to work with for my first...client? Patient? Whatever. I supposed that sort of rundown was to be expected for each inmate that I dealt with. I don't know whether I preferred knowing that much about them, to be honest. I'm conditioned not to make assumptions and predispositions, but it's hard to keep myself in check when knowing that I'm talking to a murderer. Nevertheless, it's my job, and hence, I shall do it well.

The man, who was a lot slighter than I expected, came through the door, a slightly troubled look on his face. He sat down on the solitary chair and looked at me, regarding my outstretched hand, hanging through the small gap, with suspicion. I held his gaze with a soft smile, making it clear that I meant him no disrespect. He leaned in and took my hand and shook it firmly, more strength in his arm than I had expected by his looks.

"Good evening Shinji, my name is Shoto. I'm new here, but I hope I can help with whatever's troubling you at the moment? Please take your time and don't feel pressured to talk. I'm here to listen."

"Yeah, whatever. 'Been twelve and a half years since I got put in here, got another six at least, maybe up to  twelve and a half. Guess it just caught me by surprise how long it's actually been. How long it's actually gonna be. You'll probably have kids by the time I'm outta here, ya get me?"

I couldn't do anything but offer him another wry smile at that, and he merely smiled back and looked down at himself. I wasn't entirely sure how to approach this - I was hoping for an easy situation for my first meeting, but it seems I'd been thrown in at the deep end.

"How would you describe...the way you feel when you think about how long you have left in here"

"...I dunno. Bein' in this place makes ya forget what it's like to properly...feel. Ya just...wait. Maybe impatience is what I feel...yeah, that's it! Impatience! I wanna get outta here and show the world that the mistake I made doesn't define me!"

"...do you feel as though what happened is something that you can move on from?"

"Absolutely! I mean, it's...regrettable, and obviously I deserve to be here for what I've done, but I don't think I can be blamed for wanting a chance at redemption...anyway, I don't have much to say more than that...I guess I just needed to tell someone. You're a better listener than my cell walls, I'll give you that"

I couldn't help but let out a soft chuckle, which was thankfully what the meek-looking man was going for. It was a wonder he managed in a place like this - looking so out of place.

"Well, if you're satisfied, then we can end here if you wish? It's been nice meeting you, Shinji. Feel free to come any time"

"Thank you Shoto. I trust you'll put in a word about this with the parole board?"

I frowned, noting the slightly stern tone he used when saying that.

"I'm afraid that's not possible, I'm obliged to keep this conversation confidential"

"...I don't think you heard me, Shoto" he said, leering close to the glass and suddenly looking significantly more threatening. "I trust you'll put in a word about this with the parole board"

"I can't do that Shinji, I'm sorry. If you wish to appeal your sentence, you can organise such matters elsewhere than here. I'm a listener, not a negotiator"

I was somewhat proud of myself for standing up to him. At the end of the day, I wasn't his friend, I was just a lent ear. I would be as nice to him as he was to me, and that was that.

His eyes boggled as I spoke back to him, his fury clearly rising at the thought of someone 15 years his junior scolding his behaviour, and he slammed his palm firmly against the glass as a warning. I barely reacted, sighing and pretending to make notes about him.

A guard had heard the commotion and come in, and I gave him the go ahead to handcuff Shinji and escort him out. The inmate continued to glare at me until he could no longer see me. Once the door was closed, I sighed once again and slumped back into my chair.

That was my first lesson: to never forget what these people are here for. They're here because they want me to help them escape their troubled minds that spend all day looking at four walls.

I couldn't get complacent, or overly sympathetic. I couldn't let my emotions take control. I definitely couldn't negotiate with the parole board.

An e-mail pinged, and I practically groaned at the thought of another ordeal like that.

This one did have a few details that caught my attention, mind.

Katsuki Bakugo; 23 year old; murdered his employer, millionaire Hyuga Sawamura, motive never identified; took plea bargain for involuntary manslaughter, 12 year sentence; starting second year of his sentence; no reason given for requested counsel.

23...only two years old than me. Hell of a way to throw your life away, killing your boss. And at age 21? Probably some stupid reason like a refused raise. I'm immediately expecting anger before I even meet the guy, and as soon as I get a look at him, I can practically smell the arrogance he carries.

However...it's subtle arrogance. It's arrogance presented in a different way. Not the usual narcissistic swagger that arrogant people have...no, this was more of a refined arrogance, as though it was an inside joke with himself. He looked like he had bags of confidence, but only internally. As if he was putting up a front of indifference, but there was passionate self-love hidden in him.

And I already wanted to get to the bottom of it
———————————————————————————
Wanted to keep Shoto on his toes with Shinji, plus I wanted to make note of the fact that he's not so easily intimidated by people

Fact of the Day: the name Hyuga Sawamura is a mix of Hyuga from Kuroko no Basket and Daichi from Haikyuu, both the captains of the "main" team in their respective shows (Seirin, Karasuno)