Chapter 20 - Hark!

"Whatever we decide to do, it must be done before the coronation."

Harlequin's mind spun, and she tried her utmost to maintain a level head. What she wanted to do was storm the island to get to Seras, and while she knew it was far from the best course of action, she still wanted it.

Their meetings had transferred to a basement in a different part of the city, after her reveal. She did not stay in one place for long, and she could not return home; soldiers had searched the house the day before. Quin was lucky she was led out before it happened.

"That is two days to prepare," said Emman, Otto's son. "Not nearly enough."

"We cannot wait until after. What use will he have for Seras then?" said Harlequin.

People still stared at her, like they could not believe it. It was to be expected, but it gave her spikes of irritated impatience. It had been easy to convince them, what with the sovereign signet ring in her possession and her knowledge of when she actually escaped (vouched for by Jansen).

"What use does he have for Seras now?" She could not answer that question, and it was one she asked herself.

"It is better that he does not have supreme sovereign power. Though I suppose we would not let him have it for long, regardless."

It would not have made much of a difference; whatever command Adonis wielded now will remain the same when he is crowned as the sovereign, and the rebellion would be as inevitable as it had always been. But perhaps this way, they can still save Seras.

"Then what do you suggest?" Louise, who had been quiet for a while, now looked to her.

"An attack on the island. Before they can launch one of their own. Father was always of the opinion that Ashlar was too contained in itself, too independent. He never had a good enough reason to besiege it. I doubt Adonis holds the same reservations now."

"On the island? Forgive me, but this is ill-advised," said Chekhov, sounding hesitant. This was the man Emman ran away with, only to return to Saturninos to settle. It was unfortunate that they were caught up in the midst of a civil war about to explode, and Otto has not stopped glaring at his son's husband. Harlequin was glad that he had someone to resent, now that Seras was not here.

"If most of us here have not been to the island, a surprise strike would blind us as much as them. Unless we have a reliable source of information," said the foreign man, and Otto's eyebrows furrowed deeper at every instance of his accent's rolled R.

"I am the source of information," said Harlequin, exasperated. "I lived there my entire life."

"Do you suggest you lead this attack, then?"

"Why yes, Otto, I do," she snapped, then took a deep breath. "Or at least direct how we approach."

Harlequin could feel how tense the room was. She was not exactly welcome here, and suspected that she was not being flayed alive because she could be useful. She hardly cared about how they thought of her now.

"Then do you have a plan?"

Of course she did. Here it is described so:

Small boats to cross the channel, in intervals. Too large ships, or too many a number would raise suspicion, especially because they would be easier to see from the island.

They would not be arriving at the commercial port. Instead they will sail along the coast and dock near the tent settlement.

"The tent folk are not sympathetic to the sovereign, so we can mingle. Those who are would be easily silenced," said Jansen.

Now, Seras would most likely be held at Greystone Hold, so a select few will sneak in and break her out.

"Greystone Hold, the most fortified prison in the kingdom? Sounds like a tall order, Harlequin."

"Fortified, not guarded," said Quin. "They trust the architecture too much."

Harlequin sounded more confident than she felt. The next course of action: breaching the stronghold.

"Now how will we do that?"

"Please stop interrupting," said Harlequin.

"She did breach it once before. She could do it again," said someone else.

Harlequin inhaled. She knew they could not enter the palace the same way she left it. It would be too loud and too early.

"We will seek an audience with Adonis." There was a pause in the room.

"Are you mad?"

"No," she said, heated. "This is the most logical way. He will grant it if we claim to have information on my whereabouts."

"Will he not recognize you from before? You did grow up with him."

"I hardly recognize myself." And she meant it.

The discussion continued until they had laid out what essentially was a suicide strike into the heart of the palace, where the only outcome was destruction. When it ended, the attendees petered out to rest and prepare; they were to journey at nightfall.

Alice stayed and walked to her side. Harlequin, busy stringing her bow, hummed in acknowledgement.

"I had had my doubts about you. But they were so absurd that I thought Seras would skin me if I brought it up, so I did not. Did she know?"

"Of course she did."

"And she kept your secret?"

"Yes. I did not think she would."

"Mm. Neither did I." Alice sat cross-legged beside her. Harlequin was not sure where they stood now, until she said, "You must really care."

"What?"

"About her. About this. You could have left. And yet."

"And yet we find ourselves in places we did not think we would be. I only want her safe."

"So do I."

A hand fell on her shoulder; Quin turned to see Alice staring her in the eyes. "Seras would want you safe as well. You do not need to be there."

"Yes, I do. She would do the same for me and more."

The other woman gave her a hard look, then sighed. "The worst part of this is that I know that Seras - Seras! - would do it. She hated you."

You could never hate someone you truly knew; Harlequin knew that much. Her mind drifted to the two people alive that she loved.