Chapter 3 - Parties and Confessions

Pop music blasts from a Bluetooth speaker in the living room of Luke's house.

The air is warm from the start of autumn air, and almost my whole year level is packed in the living area, spread across the kitchen, lounge and dining area.

I stick close to Annie and Ty, refusing to get lost in the crowd.

"Hey! Do you want something to eat? We've got some lollies and chips in bowl in the kitchen?" Luke asks us, appearing beside Ty.

"Sure. Do you have any classes with Abby? I heard her and Charlotte broke up, and I don't have her number to check on her-" Ty talks to Luke as Gabe walks up to me.

"Hi, Jess." He says as I smile and hug him.

"Hey, how are you?" I ask as he hugs Annie.

"Mentally exhausted from the biochem test I had last period today. I am so ready to start drinking." Gabe laughs.

"What should we start with?" I ask smiling.

"Let's see what Luke's got. It's probably all crap anyway." Gabe smirks as Luke's head whips around, and he sets his eyes on Gabe.

"Fine. You don't get to have any of my 'crap'." Luke smiles, crossing his arms.

Gabe dramatically drops onto his knee, his hands pleading. "I'm sorry for offending your liquor! May you please find it in your heart to forgive me?"

"How did you not get an A+ in drama last week?" Ty asks as Luke takes Gabe's hands in his.

"My liquor and I forgive you, my friend." Luke says, pulling Gabe in for a quick hug, patting him on the back, before he leads the way to the kitchen.

"Plastic cups are on the counter, there are beers and spirits in the fridge." Luke says before he spots a friend and quickly walks off to speak to them.

Annie grabs a small handful of lollies from a bowl, passing me a few, as Ty grabs a few beers.

"Thanks." I smile, noticing she gave me my favourite flavoured lollies.

I smile, leaning in for a side-hug.

"Ready to unwind?" Ty smiles, passing me a beer.

"Sounds like a plan." I say, using a nearby bottle opener to pop the beer bottle open.

I watch Annie's eyes search past the bodies of people, before disappointment shades her eyes.

Gently tugging her away, I speak quietly. "Are you okay?"

"It's nothing. Don't worry." She smiles, deflecting quickly.

"Annie. Cough it up."

"I was just looking. Checking that... he wasn't here." Annie admits.

"Why not just talk to Jackson? Maybe you guys could work it out." I ask, Annie resting against the wall.

"It... it's just so complicated. With Jackson and... Ty. I feel like I'm being pulled in two completely difference directions all the time. I have had these feelings for Ty for years, and then all of a sudden I saw Jackson in a new light and he was sweet and fun, but there's Ty. There's always been Ty." Annie sighs, closing her eyes for a moment, and I realise she's fighting back tears.

"I don't know what to do." Annie laughs, a tear rolling down her cheek.

"Hey, let's save the tears for later. Now, we can have a drink and listen to some music and relax. All will be okay." I smile, wiping away her tears.

"You are the best friend ever, Jess." Annie asks, looping her arm with mine.

"And you are an amazing friend. Whatever you decide, I will be right by your side." I say, as we walk back over to the boys.

♡♡♡

After a couple hours and a few too many drinks, I sit down on the porch, resting on a couch, a blanket laid over my legs.

The door swings open, Ty laughing as he slightly stumbles out of the doorway.

"Hey Mister Basketball Star!" I laugh, as he drops down on the couch beside me, tugging some of the blanket over him.

"What's up Jessie?" Ty asks.

"Not much, what about you Tyler?" I ask, but he doesn't respond. He stares blankly at the backyard, lost in thought.

"Ty? What's on your mind?" I tap his shoulder, pulling his attention away from to yard, and to me.

"Come on, you can talk to me." I insist as he sighs, and I notice a change in him. Something... sad and broken-hearted.

Silence falls between us, before Ty speaks quietly. "I... like Annie. But, I don't know what to do. I have a long history of disappointing her and breaking her trust in me, as you know."

"I just want to know your opinion, as you guys talk about everything. Would she be ready to date? If I asked, would she go out with me?" Ty asks, and I sense hope in his tone, hidden beneath hesitation and self-doubt.

I take a deep breath, and place my hand over his. "Ty, Annie and Jackson just broke up, and she is still really heart broken. I wouldn't recommend it just yet."

"Do you know if she likes me?" Ty asks, his voice soft. Jealousy stabs pain in my heart, at the longing in his words.

"I don't know. She told me before the whole voice message incident that she liked you, but I don't know if she feels the same way. She was really upset with you. I'm sorry, I know that's not what you wanted to hear." I feel guilty churn in my stomach, betraying my two best friends by one lie.

"Thanks for telling me, and listening to me babble on." Ty fakes a laugh, as he stands up.

"I really am sorry, Ty." I sigh.

"She's too good for me, I know." He mutters, running a hand through his hair, watching the backyard, drifting off in thought.

"Tyler, you are amazing. Any girl would be lucky to have you as their boyfriend. I know I count my lucky stars that I get to call you one of my best friends. Annie is blessed to have you looking out for her." I comfort, standing and walking over to him, laying a hand on his shoulder.

"Thanks Jess." Ty smiles softly.

♡♡♡

Gabe leans against the kitchen wall cradling a beer in hand, while I sit on the kitchen counter, my legs swinging slightly.

"Give it up, Jessie. You've been completely silent for like 20 minutes. What's wrong?" Gabe asks, as I sigh, resting my palms on the side of counter, my head hanging low.

"I just... did something that is going to hurt some of the people I love the most. And I just feel... like a really bad friend." I admit, a tear dripping down my cheek.

"You are a great friend, I can vouch for that." Gabe smirks, wiping away my tear.

"I'm sure whatever it was, is not nearly as bad as you think it is." He reassures.

Lying to my friend, and sabotaging the chance of a relationship between two of my closest friends, whom both like each other but neither one knows. I'd say its pretty bad.