3 || A New Beginning

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Your POV)*

The door creaked open and I buried my head deeper into my arms. It's been 4 days since my mother passed away and it's been 4 days since I last left the house. Heizou and Sara stood at the front door, an odd duo. I could hear one of them sigh and the two walked in. One of them walked towards the kitchen and the other, I assumed, was Heizou from the sound of his jitte and vision hitting against each other, sat down beside me.

"Heard you were going to leave the island for a bit? Sounds like fun." Heizou spoke as an attempt to cheer me up.

"Mhm."

"Y/N, HAVE YOU EATEN ANYTHING AT ALL THE LAST FOUR DAYS?! YOU HAVE LITERALLY NOTHING IN HERE." Sara yelled from the kitchen.

I jerked my head up and Heizou and I tensed up, praying Sara wouldn't come over her while she was angry. She did come over, but she looked rather disappointed than angry.

Sara bent down and offered her hand. "Come on. Once we get you something to eat, you should take a walk and maybe actually take that vacation you asked me for."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ever since the Sakoku decree took effect, it's been nearly impossible to leave Ritou, but with the help of Heizou and Sara I was able to safely leave in secret. The closest and probably safest spot for me to go to was the Kujou Encampment. It took maybe only an hour or so to reach it. The soldiers were able to recognize me so I knew I was all set to stay for a bit. My plan currently is to visit Watatsumi Island and since I am in no position to arrest people, I hoped there wouldn't be anything for me to worry about.

Nothing seemed to actually happen in the encampment, but everyone there seemed to be on edge. I wasn't sure if it was because of me or not so I asked a soldier nearby. He seemed relatively comfortable when talking with me and I was relieved that I was not the problem, but that the vision hunt decree has left everyone uneasy. A shrine maiden nearby came over and I had to leave the conversation. All I heard was that it was something about Tataratsuna.

I looked over towards the direction of the large mountains and the electrical barrier surrounding it. It was a wonderful sight you wouldn't see by being on Narukami Island all the time. I mumbled about passing by Tataratsuna later on and actually see the electric barrier up close when another soldier told me it was best not to go. This soldier was one of very few female soldiers in the encampment and I must've looked at her with such curiosity that she asked me if something was wrong. I shook my head, but replied that I would be fine and would still go to Tataratsuna. She placed her hands on her hips and looked at me worried.

"There's been a lot of monsters and Fatui being attracted to the situation at Tataratsuna. It's not safe there."

"I am a skilled swordsman that is familiar with both the skills of Liyue and Inazuma sword fighting. You do not need to worry about me."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That night I sat outside the camp and stargazed. I wondered if my mother would be offended that I had quickly moved on and began exploring, but she did tell me that she wanted me to live freely without constraints after she was gone. The wind was a bit strong and I closed my eyes. I felt as if something important would happen soon.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Did you hear about what happened at the 100th vision ceremony?"

"You mean about the blonde outlander that snatched the vision? I heard the raiden shogun has placed her high on the list!"

"Aren't they on the run right now? Do you think we'd get a promotion if we caught them ourselves?"

There was a large commotion outside about some "100th vision ceremony" when I got out of my cabin. The blonde outlander was definitely the one I had met back in Ritou with Beidou. It happened not too long ago so I doubt they would've gotten far. Most likely they were near the encampment. I decided to take a walk, hoping I'd run into them along the way and tag along on their journey.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Apparently the resistance's been pushed back past Nazuchi beach."

"Seriously?"

"Yeah. I'm headed to Higi Village. I heard it's safer there right now."

"Oh- then I'm coming with you."

I overheard the two men talk as I took a bite of a lavender melon. Nearby in a bush was the outlander and their tiny companion. They were probably trying to get information on the whereabouts of the resistance and take shelter there. After the two men had left, the two criminals walked out from the bushes and began making a plan to head to Nazuchi beach. I walked up behind them and poked their shoulder. The outlander jumped in surprise and quickly took out their sword, probably on instinct.

"Hey, now. I was just going to ask if I could tag along with you to the resistance."

"Ah! We're really sorry! Uh... what was your name again? Paimon forgot..."

"Y/n."

"Right! Well Paimon thinks she can come along. She was pretty nice when we talked with her last time too."

The traveler looked at "Paimon" and back at me. I heard from Heizou that the traveler didn't really talk all that much.

"Isn't she from the Tenryou Commission?" They replied.

"Don't worry. My job isn't to arrest people. Plus I'm on 'vacation' so I'm not working anyways."

The two then nodded and we went on our way to Nazuchi beach.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: I'm using they/them pronouns for the traveler because some of you might want Aether to be the traveler while some of you might want them to be Lumine. Hope that's okay!