Chapter 30: Dusk

Chapter 30

The group gathered outside of the doors of the castle on Misery Island. They had arrived from their journey south and called upon wizards, witches, and the rest of the Junior Phoenixes to join them. Master Blessed and Professor Paris stood near the door. Teller, Raine Watterson, and Griffin Thornback stood next to them. Dev stood next to Echo, along with Anthony Downs. The Twins, Mawl the Elf, and the Quintet stood next to Shade. Rider (who was flabbergasted and excited to see Shade alive) stood next to Miguel the Smuggler, Proctor the Fetcher, and Noctem the Pirate. Jinx and Sherman stood near the trees. Destíne, Sam, and Bria had climbed a tree and sat on a large low branch with the gnomes around them. Jinx had been silent and solemn since Shade and the others told her about Rouge. Dev and Echo embraced one another and did not part from each other since she returned on the Fwooper's Folly.

"This is it," Teller addressed the group, "This is the moment we've been waiting for. It all goes down tonight."

"'Bout dang time, if ya ask me!" Sam said to Bria and Destíne. "Been ready to take the fight to them Embers for a while!"

"Everyone has a role to play," Echo spoke, "If you're not sure about being part of this then let us know now. We don't want to put anyone in danger that doesn't want to be there."

"That's right," Shade added to what Echo said, "Anyone who does not wish to be part of the plan, please tell us."

"Who else besides this group are helping us?" Sherman asked.

"My new pirate friends have joined our cause," Rider spoke. Noctem nodded and raised his sword. "We also have the aid of the remaining Sons of Atlas with us, thanks to Mr. Proctor. Miguel has also pledged the support of some of his smuggler wizards. That adds an estimate of fifty witches and wizards to our cause."

"The Minister has enlisted a small group of Aurors and officials who have volunteered their services," Raine Watterson spoke, "I think about a dozen witches and wizards, including the Minister, himself."

"What about the Six Nations?" Sky Heart asked.

Dev and Spirit shook their heads.

"They said no," Dev answered.

"We really tried to get their help," Spirit said, "But they still said no."

"That's a bust," Echo commented, "I was hoping for them to come around."

"Me, too," Rain Fox said.

"You got me and my boys," Anthony Downs said, "Marcus and the gang are ready to ride. Just say the word, Stripes."

Echo nodded with a grin.

"How big are their forces?" Sherman asked.

"After Spirit's last little reconnaissance venture to the school," Dev answered, "All told, they have close to five hundred people there."

"I wouldn't say 'People'," Spirit remarked. "They have vampires, a bunch of Embers, those Keres things, even a few Dementors! They have a lot of those things hanging around; they're creepy!"

"What is the game plan?" Anthony Downs asked.

"We are going to meet them face to face," Shade said. "Echo, the twins, Star, and I are going to meet them and talk to them about releasing the prisoners."

The others looked at Shade with confusion.

"D'ey will kill you on sight, boy!" Master Blessed shouted.

"No they won't," Shade responded. "First off, they don't know I'm back. Second, we have something they want. They have something we want. We are going to try and reason with Leech. I know that sounds like crazy talk but it might work. We are going to try it out."