Eyes

*Sarah's POV*

I was scared and worried beyond belief but I couldn't let Bernard know that. I waited for him to explain what was going on or how he was feeling. I stared into his deep green eyes. They seemed faded and distant. Something very serious was happening here and I could see that.

"I've been...really angry lately, just for no reason and I've been getting these really bad headaches...and..." He trailed off and I saw a tear roll down his cheeck. He stuffed his head in his hands and started to sob.

I wrapped my arms around him. I could feel him shaking. In the last few days he went from completely normal to having a break down in my arms. "Sarah, please. I'm so scared." He looked directly into my eyes for the first time since he fainted. Something about them were different. It was like something was hiding behind them.

Without realizing it I let go of Bernard and moved back slightly. "Do you know what happened that day?" I had a sense that I was in danger but I shook it off. I was just being paranoid. It was Bernard, he would never hurt me. "No I hardly remember anything." He was looking down at the grass and ripping some of it out, as he usually does when he lies.

"Why are you lying?" He looked back up at me and didn't say anything. The bell rang and without a word he got up and walked away. I sat there, not believing what just happened. Was any of what just happened real? Was it all just a show? I couldn't even trust him anymore. I'd have to figure this out by myself.