Chapter Six - Aiden's Promise

I grab Aiden's moment of shock with both hands. I turn around and punch him hard between the eyes. Whilst he and his crew were dazed, I grabbed the rope from his grip and run.

"Someone get here! Oh hell, she has an arm!" I hear Aiden order his pirates, followed by his distressed cry of pain. Good, I think as I run, deeper and deeper into the forest.

"Going somewhere, Wendy?" I stop and circle the clearing I'm in. Peter's voice fills the warm night air.

"Where are you?!" I shout back, curious about this boy.

"It's obvious, isn't it?" I still can't see him. "I'm right here." I turn around, and there he is, standing with his hands swinging loosely at his sides. "Wanna get out of this crap?"

What is crap?

"Okay..." I reply uncertainly. He slips his fingers into mine and we take to the air.

Neverland is beautiful from up here. The lagoons shine a midnight blue in the silver moonlight, and the grey mountains rise into the cloudless, star-studded sky. I want to stay here forever.

Until a hundred bullets shoot towards the sky at once.

"Watch out, Wendy!" Peter grabs my waist and pulls me away from an oncoming bullet. Why does he call me Wendy?

He swerves us round quickly to avoid another set of bullets fired from the pirates pistols, doing so getting one in his left shoulder. Before we crash, he lands us safely in a tree.

"Here," I say, but not really sure what to do. I look at the wound. It's more that the bullet scraped his shoulder than settled inside it. I rip more fabric off the hem of my dress and wrap it tenderly around his should. Peter winces like a child.

"If there's one thing I remember about my mother," Peter whispers, his great hazel eyes filled with tears of pain. "Is that she used to say 'one way to make everything alright, is to give a thimble...'" And then he falls asleep, in a v-branch.

What on earth is he talking about

I look down. We are very high up, which is good but makes me feel a bit uneasy.

I see Aiden and his crew appear in the clearing before us. He obviously can't see me, and his eyes are drunk with madness. He shouts to the sky;

"I promise girl! You shall be my bride! At what ever cost! And to you, Strange One, I will be the one to kill you!"