Chapter Nine - The dagger

"Here." Slightly says as he yanks the tiny arrow out of my arm. "Been hit by one of these before, laced with a sleeping draught." Then he holds me by both shoulders. "Sorry about earlier, just... I haven't seen Peter in a while..." His voice trails off.

"Yes, I thought it was a great way to greet a lady." I tease.

"Don't flatter yourself, kiddo." He says sourly before heading back towards Peter, who's picking a scab in a tree.

I hesitate before sticking out my tongue. It's not like mother can see me, anyway. I climb the tree a bit higher than Peter.

"Nice bloomers, girlie." He whistles. I hate being with boys, they're so... Boisterous. I tut and pull my skirt down more.

We settle in this tree for the night. I've never touched a tree before. Well, I probably have, but not intentionally, not thinking about it, not taking it in. It's rough but calming, if that makes any sense. It makes me feel free and... Alive.

The sky is littered with stars and wisps of cloud. Sleep doesn't fall on me. "Peter?" I whisper into the cold night air, my words followed by swirling breath.

"Wendy?" He climbs up to my branch.

"Why do you call me that?" I ask as I help him up.

"Because all strange girls are called Wendy, just the way things go." He whispers.

"I'm normal. Your the strange one." I state bluntly.

His soft laugh drowns out Slightly's snores. "I am, the Strange One..." He looks down at his tunic, and I immediately feel guilty.

"I'm sorry, Peter." I put a hand on his shoulder and he winces. I realise his wound. "Here, let me look..."

He flinches, but lets me remove the bandage. "Oh Peter!" I say a bit too loud. I don't know why it shocks me so, for I've seen his blood in the glass phile Aiden had, only I didn't know it was Peters then because you see, his blood is tinged green.

"Leave it!" He yelps as I touch it with my index finger. I rip more off my dress (its above my knees now, mother would murder me.) and wrap it round his arm.

"I don't want you to get infected." I say casually.

"Why do you care about me so much?" He whispers, his voice filling my head.

"I-I'm not sure..."

Peters face is suddenly close to mine. His breath tickles my lips, and he moves in closer.

"No," he whispers and closes his eyes, but I want him to kiss me again, and I know he was going to. "No more, Wendy."

He climbs down the branches, but the ghost of his words still linger on my lips.

He's right. I have to forget about this impossible romance I've invented in my head. Bethany is my number one priority right now. Poor Bethany, probably killed by the natives whilst I've been worrying about some love that is never going to happen.

The morning air is thick and hot. I clamber down the tree which is slippery from the dew. Peter and Slightly are sitting on the leaf-shrewn ground, Slightly skinning a rabbit whilst Peter wittles a stick with his dagger.

"What's the plan?" I ask, avoiding all pleasantries.

"First," Slightly gestures to the rabbit. "We eat." He chews for a while on some tree bark before continuing. "Then we find Bethany."

My mind whirls. "How do you know Bethany?" Peter stays silent.

"Just... You know..." He shrugs.

"Take this." Peter pipes up. "Your gonna need it."

It is a wooden dagger he has wittled himself, and although its wood, I start to bleed once I catch my finger on the tip.

I feel incredible.