Chapter 12

Chapter Twelve

The weeks and months went by in a daze.

A part of Anya had honestly believed that Yor genuinely had no idea where babies came, and due to their peculiar family situation she had honestly assumed that her parents had never even seriously thought about having children of their own.

But out of nowhere, suddenly, they were preparing a room for the baby, discussing potential names, and wondering whether it would be a boy or a girl.

Anya wasn't sure what to feel about this.

On one hand, her parents seemed to be getting along better than she had ever thought they would.

Ever since they had all met, she felt the only thing keeping them together was a wide range of circumstances that had nothing to do with being in love with each other.

But now that they were having a baby, Anya had to face the cold hard truth.

They were in love each other.

And soon enough, they would have a child of their own.

A child that would, in all likelihood, completely replace her.

The thought was extremely depressing, though she told no one.

She found herself more and more discussing the wizarding world with Harry in their letter to one another, and very little did she talk about her own life at all.

He told her about how Barty Crouch had been stripped of his position at the Ministry after he had been exposed as having broken his son out of Azkaban years before.

"He's not happy with you." Harry had said. "You were the one who exposed the entire thing."

She was also told about the Triwizard Tournament, and how the three champions had been selected.

He had initially been unhappy that a Hufflepuff had been selected, but over time he began to really admire and like Cedric Diggory.

It made her feel worried.

His life was so interesting it was only a matter of time until another girl caught his eye.

She already knew Ginny Weasley was gunning for him, and she knew he was attracted to that pretty Asian girl Cho Chang... it was only a matter of time until he decided he would much rather be with a witch than with her.

These thoughts were why it came as such a surprise when Hedwig came flying in her window, carrying a bouquet of flowers.

Anya was touched, but became downright ecstatic when she saw the message.

"Will you come to the Yule Ball with me?"

She accepted immediately, and then sent Hedwig away with a box of chocolates.

She quickly ran downstairs to inform her parents that she would be going to see Harry for Christmas.

"A ball?" Yor said. "Oh, how romantic!"

"How will you get there?" Loid asked her, staring deeply at her.

"Harry said he would send for me if I accepted." Anya said, pleased with herself. "They'll be escorting me onto the premises."

"I see."

He was already making plans on following her.

She rolled her eyes as played with Bond.

Despite his advanced age, they were as close as ever.

It wasn't long before she received another letter, this time from the Headmaster, Albus Dumbledore.