ch. 12 // empty

~y/n's pov~

i go into work four days after everything happened, fully anticipating getting fired. i take it that no one else showed up either, because my boss was not happy.

i walk into the back and his head whips around, "finally someone showed. i've been left here to scoop ice cream by myself for the past three days. none of you could even call to let me know?" mr. bobbins says angrily.

"i'm so sorry, sir. something, uhm, something came up. i know i should have called and that is totally on me."

he nods, "alright now. anyone else with you?" the door flies open.

"i'm here."

now it's my turn to fling my head around.

a shoulder-length, dirty blonde haired girl stands in the doorway, her breath short. the 'ahoy' hat is sitting on top of her head sideways and she is juggling a few things in her hands.

"i'm so sorry, mr. bobbins. i had a lot of stuff going on in my personal life the past few days and i was really overwhelmed. i couldn't possibly handle work at the same time and i know that's not an excuse and i should have called, but-"

"robin, robin. you're ok," mr. bobbins interrupts. "i'm not firing either of you or steve. it's too short notice to find other people, if you know what i mean." he chuckles. "i'm just glad you're back. i am still required to take 50% of your pay for the next three days, as punishment. next time please call. is steve here with you by any chance?"

"no, i haven't seen him for a few days." robin's eyes adjust towards me. "i tried calling him this morning, but he didn't answer. have you talked to him?"

"uh no i haven't reached out." should i have?

we finish up with mr. bobbins and are left to do our jobs. things are awkward, but we talk.

"if steve didn't drive you, how'd you get here?" i ask, trying to break the ice. it's only noon, so the ice cream rush hasn't hit yet.

"i had my mom take me." she says. i look straight into her crystal blue eyes, mesmerized. they don't seem familiar anymore and that scares me. will robin and i ever be the same again?

"nice." i juggle my scooper, but drop it on the floor. we both reach down to get it, almost bumping heads. my hand laces over hers and time stops for a second.

until erica starts ringing the bell.

"hope you nerds aren't closing early today," she smirks. "i'd like to try the uss butterscotch please." her pack of wolves stand beside her while she 'tries' every flavor we have. again.

after erica's sample shenanigans, we get a couple more customers and are caught in the web of silence again.

"listen, robin. about that night. i really don't know what went through my head. you probably don't believe me, but i promise i am 0% attracted to steve in any way, shape or form and i would really like to go back to how we were, if that's even possible." i try to look hopeful at robin, but i'm not sure i do, because, really, i believe there's no hope at all.

"i loved you, y/n, and i still do. honestly, i just don't know what to do in this situation. i want to get back together with you so bad, but i am not sure it will happen."

i feel my heart start to break, shatter even.

she continued, "i'm really sorry, it's just weird you know? i mean you kind of kissed my guy best friend." hearing her say this, my heart disintegrates. there's nothing left, just a big empty space in my chest where my whole life used to be.

trying to find the right words, i manage to make out, "yeah, sorry." i go into the back, praying i don't start crying again. why did my stupid ass self have to kiss steve anyways? there's no chance robin and i will ever be friends again, let alone together like we were. in school, i'll have to walk through the hallways alone, we'll make awkward eye contact once a week, and never speak again. i can't help it, just thinking about this makes my eyes water, a seemingly daily routine recently. i run to the back, scared of robin seeing me like this. or even worse, any of the customers. i don't bother to close the door, just let my back rub down the wall as i sink into a puddle on the floor.

~robin's pov~

"i loved you, y/n, and i still do. honestly, i just don't know what to do in this situation. i want to get back together with you so bad, but i am not sure it will happen." and i'm not sure what will happen if i don't have her by my side for the rest of my life. "i'm really sorry, it's just weird you know? i mean you kind of kissed my guy best friend." i don't know if it's possible to fall out of this deep love i have for y/n. what if this really is the end? my life would be over.

i see her struggle to get words out. "yeah, sorry," is what she manages. my heart splits when i see her run to the back. there are customers entering, so i have to serve them, but i almost mess up a bazillion times because all i can think about is the girl who just ran out of my life.

"have a good day." i say, wishing i could be too. as soon as i see the coast is clear of any other customers, i race to the back. from the bathroom, i hear choked sobbing, like when you fail to contain your crying. i stop myself before going in there. is this the right thing to do? will i comfort her or will i make it weird? i almost leave her there, but i couldn't live with myself if i knew i left her back there.

y/n is sitting in the corner with her head in her knees. whenever she's anxious or scared, her hands will violently shake and this time was zero exception. i run towards her and lock my fingers between hers, opening up my arms for a hug. she gratefully accepts it and starts bawling with her head in my chest. i hug her tighter than i ever have before, glad i can still be a comfort to her.

minutes go by and her sobbing slows down. she looks up to me for the first time since i came into the bathroom, her face puffy and red with mascara pooling under her bottom lashes. god, even in this state she's still the most beautiful girl i have ever seen.

"thank you." she says.

"always. i love you, y/n." and there's no denying that.

AN:
ok so i was skeptical of releasing this chapter or redoing the whole thing because i don't know if it seems like robin just didn't care about the kiss or what. for clarification, i wanted it to be like robin saw her best friend hurt and couldn't resist helping her because she loved her so much. hopefully that's how you interpreted it!?