Chapter 1: Blight

Cordelia Bennoit, soon-to-be Head of the current Bennoit lineage, aged 17 and quite possibly the youngest of her generation to step up as Head. She knows the responsibilities she needs to act and care for after her ascension.

The tale of her ancestor, the late Princess Nirvana, was told to her as soon as she could comprehend things, slowly being pampered and put into studying her family's history, learning academics as well as different languages, and sent on short diplomatic trips to get her accustomed to what her life would be later on once she began to lead.

As Cordelia grew, the pressure of her studies and the old tale began to get dull quickly, with how much it was being told to her, the idea of becoming the new Head of the family fell flat. Ancestors and broken diamond shards locked in a pretty-looking box? Of course, where's the fun inheriting a little trinket from a deceased relative while you try and become proactively better within your family? Cordelia's mentality shifted, the joy she used to have about leading her family became a chore, nearing the point of a burden, but she kept playing along for the sake of everyone. What would really become of her family if she gave it up now after so much time spent on her?

As the event began to dawn near, rehearsals were set in motion and Cordelia quickly grew nervous, were the things locked in the trinket even there? Had it survived the painful process of aging with time? Her parents noticed the worry in her, chuckled, and told her to calm down for she worried too much over the smallest of things. Whatever was in the pretty box would never do her harm, all she had to do was follow its instructions accordingly per their ancestor's wishes. 

With her thoughts consuming her alive, Cordelia stood tall. She looked ahead and breathed.

It was time.

---

Cordelia started her day early. A bit too early for her liking but she started her day nonetheless.
She was cleaned, fed a light meal, and was quickly dressed for the occasion. After being prepped, she was sat on a small carriage ready outside Bennoit Park, having her at the very front, prompting some slight anxiety.

Her parents cheered, trying to ease her worries. Cordelia sheepishly smiled.

Not long after, the carriage began to move, and a coachman presented himself to the future Head, congratulating her on being the new lead and how hopeful he was about her being the new one to lead. Cordelia sighed at that but thanked him regardless.

The trip from Bennoit Park to the town's church felt long, dreadfully so, and Cordelia was praying she wasn't sweating bullets out of her own anxiety but settled down just enough to make it to the church intact. 

People were filling up the entire area surrounding the place, nicely dressed and excited for the occasion of watching a new generation come forth. It's loud and nicely decorated, filled to the brim for what it can be done. Why did it have to be so full of people for such an important day and event? Cordelia smiled and waved at her people, her soon-to-be responsibilities, trying to keep pretending for a bit that she was doing fine. The carriage eventually came to a halt. The coachman accompanying her got off and opened the door for her, awaiting her next move.

With her thoughts consuming her alive, Cordelia got out. She looked ahead and breathed.

It was time.

Once inside, people quickly settled down in their designated spots, ready to finally begin this ceremony. What people didn't know, however, was that they would get more than just a ceremony as Cordelia's mission wasn't spread around to avoid any unwanted attention from certain people. It needed to go well and unnoticed for the time being in order to prevent any setups for failure.