Chapter Five

James flipped through the channels, bored, and it was irritating him. He had brown hair and green eyes, just like Samuel. He always wore a V-neck T-shirt and jeans and wore a black wristwatch. He sighed and stood from the chair. "I can’t get into TV," he said to himself. He heard the door unlock and a woman with blond hair up in a messy bun and a little girl who looked to be about the age of nine.

He gave a brief kiss to the woman before she walked away and gestured to the girl. "Your daughter has something to ask you," she said.

James knelt to where he was level with the little girl. "Yes, Amber?" he asked.

"When am I going to meet my big brother?" Amber asked.

James smiled. "You’ll get to meet him this Saturday," he answered, "I hope."

The woman whirled at hearing what he'd said. "What do you mean you hope? You set up a meetng with him?"

James rubbed the back of his neck as he replied. "Well, Samuel has never had the best opinion of me since he was little, and I really hope he doesn’t leave me on standby for the rest of my life."

His phone rang and he looked to find that it was Samuel. "Speaking of which," he said. "Hello?" 

"Hey, dad. I just have a quick question. Would it be all right if I brought someone too? Since you’re bringing someone," Samuel said.

"Sure, go ahead. The more the merrier, but don’t bring a crowd."

Samuel’s laugh warmed James’ heart. He felt guilty leaving Samuel without a father to care for him. "Thanks, dad. You sure I can’t know who you’re bringing? I’ll tell you who I’m bringing," Samuel coaxed. 

It was James’ turn to laugh. "Yes, I’m sure. I want it to be a surprise," he told his son.

"Damn. Well, I tried."

James laughed again. "That you did."

An indiscernable voice called to Samuel on the other line, and Samuel called back. "Well, I need to let you go. Mom’s calling me for dinner and she’s getting impatient," he said.

"Alright, son. See you Saturday."

"See you then."

James hung up the line and followed his wife to the kitchen to help her make dinner. "Samuel is bringing another guest to the meet-up," he said, pausing a moment to think. "Now he’s all grown up and I missed being a father to him and he hasn’t had the best impression of me."

"Don’t be impatient." 

"I know, Rachael. I just want to know if he’ll trust me again after I left him and his mother alone."

Rachael sighed. "Sweetheart...he's already told you he trusts you."

James rose an eyebrow at her. "How so?"

"He asked if it was okay to bring someone. Did he say anything else about his life, besides the fact that you left?"

James shrugged. "He did say he found someone special in his life, but he doesn't know if I'll like it."

"There. Those two clues have already solved your mystery."

James just rubbed his temple as he chuckled. "I hate how you're right, sometimes."

"Only sometimes." Rachael smiled at him.