iv, The Other Boy!

1960, Early October

1960, Early October

IT WAS DARK by the time Juliet arrived back in her motel room, cheeks flushed red and stray spurts of brown falling from her bun across her face as she collapsed amongst the cluster of blankets on her bed.

She had woken early that morning to George thrashing on her door, already adorned in his leather and gel while she still had the tangles of a fitful sleep mussed across her head of hair. He had one of those rare days of freedom the boys were seldom accustomed to when working at the Kaiserkeller and as soon as he heard he had raced across the city to her motel she had told him she was staying in. He stayed reclined on her tousled bed as he watched her ready herself. Brushing out her locks and painting some makeup on her face, it was silent between them George occasionally breaking it as he asked questions: what's that brown stuff on your cheeks? Why are you putting peach under your eyes? It was endearing to Juliet, how eager he was to learn.

After she changed into her 'teddy-girl' ensemble (a leather jacket and leather trousers she had stolen from John) George had taken it upon himself to take her hand in his and race them through these twisting and turning alleys to find this abandoned building he saw on his way there. They found it, eventually, and spent the day sharing cigarettes and a bottle of bourbon he had swiped from the Kaiserkeller that morning. It was perhaps the most fun Juliet had in a long whilenot since she saw John get his arse handed to him by an old girlfriend he cheated on years ago.

By the time she had relaxed back into her motel room she was utterly worn by the days events, slowly slithering the leather from her arms and inching her cowboy boots from her legs that left blisters on her feet (she refused to wear socks with them) she let her eyes flutter shut and arms reach to wrestle a pillow to her torso. She was almost asleep by the time the blaring of the telephone rang out. Groaning to herself, she picked herself up from the knot of limbs she compacted herself into and fell into the wall the telephone sat on.

"Hello?" She slid down the wall, curling her knees up to her chest.

It was then, that single, ever-so familiar rumble sounded out, forcing her eyes to widen and to straighten out her sore spine, "I miss you Julie."