Chapter 1

⚠️ Please take a second to note there is going to be mentions of abuse in           this book so use caution ⚠️

Lia 💕

Are you coming?

Huh? Coming to what?

The senior party?

Dad won't let me.

Sneak out! This party
is gonna be great.

I'll do my best.

That's my best friend Lia. She's convinced that we have to party our asses off to have fun. With a dad like mine that life is awfully hard.  Tough love or something right?

I did a quick rinse on my hair and went downstairs to investigate. Drunk. Dad's past out in his lazy chair drunk. I went back upstairs and locked my door.

Snuck out my window and made my way to Lias car in the driveway. We made it to the party a little over 15 minutes later. It smelt strong of booze and sex. Little freshman girls covered the yard looking for a drink.

I made my way inside to find a familiar voice "damn val out past your bedtime?" Lovely. "Go find a freshman to lip stick boy"

He laughed and backed me into the wall, "bossy tonight eh val?" The alcohol was strong on his breath. "Move it Josh!" I yelled to draw the attention of other people.

Josh left and a group of boys followed. I brushed it off and went upstairs to lock myself in the bathroom. Spam texting Lia for what felt like ages until finally I got a response.

She took over an hour to respond so I don't even wanna know what she was doing. I left the bathroom to screaming commotion, "call 911" one person screamed. "My parents are gonna be so pissed" yelled another.

"He's fucking dead!" Who's dead? Josh, Josh is dead. I went to text Lia we needed to go but she left me here. So I had to make my way home alone. It's not that I'm scared, but I've seen the movies.

I made it to the end of my street and found it to be darker than the rest of them. It's just the alcohol val, you're home safe go. I climbed up into my window and then quickly closed it.

"Why do you have my journal" I whispered. "That's all you have to say?" The man in front of me smiled. "How did you get in?" He shook his head, "you look like you weren't expecting a stranger in your house"

I stayed silent. "You left your window open darling" I groaned in frustration, "so you just climb in my window? You're a moron!" Suddenly a loud noise startled us both.

"Valentina where the fuck are you!" My dad screamed stomping up the stairs. I ran to barricade the door, "could you help me!?" He raised his brow in confusion. "You aren't scared of me?"

"I am! But I'm definitely more scared of him!"  After we blocked off the door I paced in distress. "The window darling" I watched the man climb out my window and I didn't have the time to do the same, once he reached the ground I jumped.

"You gotta be insane!" He laughed cradling me. "You broke into my house, you aren't exactly sane" I immediately rang Lia but my phone was taken.

"You're not getting me into trouble darling" was the last thing I heard and then it went black.

I woke up locked in a room. It was a clean room and I had food, still creepy though. I was wearing new clothes, a hoodie and sweatpants. I was then greeted by the man from earlier, or yesterday? How long have I been here.

"Did you take my clothes?" I whispered to the man sitting on the end of the bed. "No, it was my mother" "your mom knows I am here?" He nodded, she thinks you are one of the women I slept with.

"Oh no we didn't!?" I asked in a panic. "No, we didn't. But since you already saw me I couldn't just leave you so I kidnapped you" Except you can't kidnap the willing to go.

I nodded, "what are you gonna do with me then?" He shrugged, "well honestly you seemed more scared of your father than me.. so I might be helping you" I am. I definitely am.

"I have to go to the store, do you need anything?" I stared at him before finally responding. "Coffee please?" He nodded, "and you're gonna eat for me right?" I nodded. "Such a good girl" he smirked and then left the room.

I squeezed my thighs together. That shouldn't have made me feel that way yet it did. Perhaps I don't have to rush to get home, maybe for now I'll stay here. At least until I figure out what to do with dad.

I slept on it. "val? I got your coffee hun" I didn't ask questions I just drank. "Does it taste okay?" He asked in an unsure tone. "Yes it tastes really good, try some" I watched as he drank the coffee and let out a relieved sigh, "I was worried it would be gross"

We continued to talk and pass around the coffee for a bit. In this time I learned his name is Monroe, he's the grade above me, he doesn't believe in love due to his parents, he thinks socks are foot prisons, and he's taking care of his mother. I felt wanted during the time we spent together and it made me wanna stay longer.

By the time Monroe checked his phone it was already 2 am. And we were both tired. He got up and handed me the remote that was hidden on the cluttered desk, "just in case you get bored" I got up and made my way to the door.

"Can you stay in here? Just for the night? You can have the bed if you want it" he shook his head and I sighed. I didn't wanna be alone in here. Monroe pulled out extra pillows and blankets from the closet and laid them on the floor.

"You can have the bed princess, just make sure to sleep" I didn't, neither did he. We sat up on the floor talking about our favorite tv shows while I flicked through what was on. We decided on a murderer series and made fun of their tactics.

It almost scared me how much I learned about this stuff from him but I let him continue. By now it was clear he had no intention to hurt me, he fell asleep with his head on my back. Who knows what he'll do to me but it's safer than home I guess.