Chapter 2

Monroe

I needed to get up, get dressed, and go to school. I just didn't have the energy. I wanted to stay here and watch tv with Val. It's in a few minutes after she wakes up that I have to tell her she's gonna be forced to stay here.

I left the bedroom and then went to my room downstairs. I threw on sweatpants and a short sleeve t-shirt and then covered my self in cologne. I stared at myself in the mirror before I left the room.

I don't look like the kind of guy to keep a girl locked in his house. Is there a look though? I figured it would be old, balding, and living with their mother. Well.. I have a full head of hair and I'm only 18.

I made my way to Val's room and she was changing back to the door. To my surprise she didn't even flinch, just let me enter. Of course I still covered my eyes and blushed in embarrassment.

"Val I gotta go to school" she nodded but didn't make eye contact. "Is everything okay?" She shook her head and made her way to me. "I'm so embarrassed" she whispered laying her head on my shoulder.

I held her waist with one hand and brushed her hair down with the other. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to walk in on you" she laughed at my sincere apology. "No it's not that, I uh started my period"

The anxiousness in her voice made me smile. "It's okay, make me a list of stuff you need and I'll get it before I leave" she nodded and sat back down on the bed. "I'll go find you a notebook"

Val made me a list and I hurried to the store. I was doing pretty good. I had snacks, drinks, and I even picked up some new clothes for Val. But why the hell are there so many tampon options.

Brands, sizes, and designs. Lord just make one tampon. The perfect tampon so women do not have to stand here trying to pick through 50 boxes. In all my days of living I never thought I'd be shopping for tampons.

"Uhm, miss? Can you please help me?" The woman laughed, "sure what's wrong?" I felt so awkward. "I need help finding tampons which ones would you recommend?"

She then proceeded to ask me a bunch of questions I didn't know the answer to. I barely know this girl, how would I know what her flow is like? Finally she told me I should  grab a mixed box just in case.

I grabbed val some medicine too just in case she needed it. I felt like everything was a just in case but I wanted her to be comfortable. I also picked her up another coffee and some breakfast.

I lugged everything up stairs and val was sitting on the floor watching an old episode of SpongeBob. "Aren't you a bit old for SpongeBob?" I laughed handing her breakfast. "Aren't you a bit old to be wearing ripped jeans?"

I smiled, "It's the style val, goshh" I really didn't wanna leave but I  had to go to school. "I gotta go to school I'll be back around 2" she nodded and began writing in her notebook again. "I'll see you later!" She smiled and I left the room.

I arrived at school and Val was the big news. Everyone curious as to where she went and all the rumors behind it. Some people say she killed Josh?  Some people are saying it's an attention scheme. If only they knew that wasn't at all Val.

The day dragged but all I could think about was what Val was doing and if she was trying to escape. I took a bunch of notes today so I could go home and teach Val. Since she isn't at school and all-

Val's dad was giving a show about how desperate he was to get her home. It made my blood boil, that man is no home. I can't help but wonder why Val was so scared of him.

It all led me down to one thing though she had terrible bruising on her back and was ready to trust a stranger over her own dad. Val's safer with me. I can take care of her, I know I can.

The rumors only continued to get worse as the day went on. By the time the day was over I was rushing to get outta the school. That was until I stopped to check on a crying girl.

"Are you okay?" She shook her head. "What's wrong?" She sniffled and then looked up at me, "my best friend is gone and it's all my fault" my stomach turned in guilt. "Hey it's okay, I'm sure they'll find her"

"What if the rumors are right? What if she was kidnapped by a sex craving rapist?" She wasn't, I promise she wasn't. "They'll get her, Val sounds like a smart girl" she nodded and then I made my way to my truck.

I definitely shouldn't have stopped to check on her, I feel so guilty. When I finally arrived home I opened Vals door in hesitation that maybe she left. No, she was sitting on the floor writing.

"Hey you" she smiled. "Hello darling, what did you do today?" She patted the floor next to her and I took a seat. "Well I took notes on shows and wrote down questions I wanted to ask you." That made me smile, she made me smile.

"I took notes today too, since you couldn't go to school I'll bring it to you"  Val seemed pretty happy it made me feel less bad about the fact  she's here. "Your dad's looked for you" I whispered causing her smile to disappear.

"Step dad" she corrected. "The rumors at school are awful Val, there was a girl talking about how a sex craving rapist could've taken you" she laid her head on my shoulder and sighed, "It's okay, don't worry about it" but I am, how could I not?

"Val.. you know that I wouldn't right?" She nodded, "I know, I trust you" That made me feel better. "Do you wanna go home?" She shook her head, "No, not unless you want me to" truth be told I didn't but instead of telling her that I just held her closer to me.