Doors

Xiao ling and I walked through the many doors that lead to many different rooms, occasionally we would check the drawers for useful items but most of the time we just found small piles of gold coins or keys for locked doors.

We were in the middle of a room when the lights went out and we heard a low growling from a room over, it approached rapidly and a strand of text appeared before us.

"The monster will come by often, hide in closets and cabinets to escape." Seems easy enough, let's just hope there's no jump scares,

"XIAO LING IS SCARED-"

Nevermind,

Xiao ling had jumped onto my side and held my arm close, I heard the growling growing louder so I took the two of us into a closet before we got caught.
It was cramped but it was survival.

I looked out of the crack in the closet to make sure the beast had passed, now that the adrenaline had passes I noticed mine and Xiao Lings fingers tangled in a small ball.

We were holding hands.

Xiao ling hadn't noticed yet though, so I let go slowly as to not draw his attention.
We stepped out if the closet and onto the carpeted flooring. The wood freaked under our weight as we made our way to the other locked door. I had grabbed the key a while back.

"Xiao ling gets scared easily, Xiao ling apologizes" I unlocked the door before turning towards him.

"It's fine, fears a normal response to this kinda stuff." My voice sounds so gruff compared to his, it's kind of strange.
I had only now realized that Xiao ling was taller than me, I had to look up a bit to meet his gaze.

But those thoughts aside, we had to keep moving if we wanted to survive this and get the ending to this game.