Caffeine. |Chapter 1|

"Riley, this one's for table 10. Can you take over the rest of my shift?" My co-worker asked me as she passed me a tray with a coffee piled high with whipped cream, as well as a pot of fresh coffee.

"Yeah, I can do that. See you later!" I called after her as she ran out of the kitchen, tossing her apron in the bin. I walked out of the swinging doors and into the restaurant. I weaved my way through the crowd of people all waiting for breakfast, chattering to the person across the table from them. Table ten was a booth tucked away from the world, in a corner looking out over the street.

"Hi, My name is Riley. I'll be taking over for Evelyn. I believe this is yours?" I asked, setting the coffee pot down on the table as well as the cup of mostly whipped cream.

"Thanks. Usually I don't like this fancy stuff, but i thought i'd give it a try." The man said, and for the first time I actually looked up and saw him. I smiled at him and felt my heart race a little bit. Though my hair was short, my bangs fell in front of my face and i tucked them behind my ear to the best of my abilities. He was handsome, no doubt, but it was inappropriate to give those kinds of compliment to a customer.

"Well lucky for you, I'm a caffeine expert. I'll bring you some more real coffee when you decide that one is too sweet." I said with a smile.

"Thank you." He said, pulling something out of his leather bag.

I went and grabbed another pot, filling up a large mug with the hot fluid. I grabbed a basket of creams and sugars and brought it back over to the table. I saw the awful look on his face and it made me giggle as i got closer.

"I see you've decided to stick with the strong stuff." I said with a cheery tone.

"I don't see how it's possible for people to enjoy a cup of frothy sugar." He said, taking a sip of the straight black coffee in the cup that I had brought.

"Well don't worry about it, it's on the house." I said, putting the cup on my tray.

"No, no. You don't have to do tha-" I cut him off before he could finish.

"It's how we do things here, if you don't like it you don't pay." I said with a large smile. He sat there quiet for a moment.

"Um, thank you. Riley is it?" He said, toying with the handle on his coffee mug.

"Yeah, that's me! and you're welcome!" I said, "I'll be back in a few minutes if you need anything else." I walked away after that and spent the last few hours waiting and busing tables, and by the end of mine and Evelyn's shift I was completely exhausted. I clocked out in the back and took off my apron and threw on the sweater with my college logo on it. I collected the rest of my belongings and made my way out to the front.

"Riley!" I heard one of the cooks yell out to me. "Riley, can you lock up please?"

"Yeah, I've got this." I smiled and set my things behind the counter. I made my way to the back of the building, turning off the lights for the back portion. I saw a table light on in the corner by the window. Sure enough it was the painfully attractive man who had good taste in coffee. "Hey, I'm sorry to kick you out but it's closing time." I said in a quiet tone. He looked up from a folder file full of papers and quickly covered up a stack of photos. I didn't bother to ask, i understood the whole privacy thing.

"Oh, no. I lost track of time, sorry." He said, he shoved the file folder into his leather bag and stood up. Suddenly i felt very short, as he was significantly taller than I was. I looked down at my shoes.

"Don't be sorry." I followed him up to the front, where he gave me exact change for his bill. "Hey, come back any time. We can talk about coffee." I said, flirting very subtly.

"I think I will."