Chapter 10- My Protector

Jonathan's POV

"Boss," Ark uttered on a warning tone as he glared at me using the reflection of the car's rear-view mirror.

As a result, I was suddenly alerted. Inayos ko na kaagad ang upo ko as I quickly leaned my head towards my back. At ganoon din ang ginawa ni Barb.

Speaking of which, nasa kahabaan pa rin kami ng NLEx northbound. We were on a two-car convoy with my father's bodyguards. whose vehicle were right in front of us, and it had been thirty minutes already since we entered the toll gate of the expressway.

Because her hand was still interlocked with mine, I could sense the sudden stiffness of her muscles as she tightened her grip on it.

As to what prompted Ark to raise a warning and Anica to stiffen, it was probably caused by the heavily-tinted black Maserati that I saw sa likod namin.

It was on our tail na, and I estimated na its headlight was only five centimeters away from our bumper.

To make matters worse, the lack of distance between the two bumpers told me na hindi ito aksidente, na sinadya talaga ito ng drayber noon, and that he wouldn't be easy to get rid of.

Base kasi sa anggulo at trahektorya ng sasakyan niya it seemed like he was a professional tracker and that he was paid to stick with us. I was terrified for Barb because of that.

I knew that I only needed to buy us some time kasi parating na sina Larry, Enzo, at ilan sa mga kasamahan nila sa trabaho under Capt. Emerson Madrigal, as well as additional security from my father.

But I wasn't confident that we would be able to hold them off until then. I knew that Shea, the one driving the other car of our convoy, was a good driver. But there was no way for me to know the capacity of the one driving the Maserati. He or she seemed to know what he or she was doing kasi.

As I thought about that, biglang bumagal ang takbo ng sumunod sa amin, thus separating the two cars for a bit. The driver then used the short distance para bumwelo. 

Yes, the driver suddenly turned the car on the left side in an attempt to overtake us.

Mabuti na lang, kaagad na napansin ni Ark iyong binabalak ng assilant namin. He gazed at the side mirror on his side.

At bago pa man ako makapagsalita, inunahan na niya ako. "Boss, hawakan mo si Ma'am," he commanded in a matter of urgency.

So without question or hesitation, I did as my most-trusted subordinate asked. I moved over by Barb's side as quick as possible to hug her tightly and on a highly-alerted manner.

While I was on it, Ark turned the steering wheel to the left side very fast and swift that the car jarred a bit more than it normally would have. Aside from the sudden rotation kasi, the velocity caused the shake too. Its aftereffect made Anica more anxious and nervous, I could tell based on her reaction.

But I couldn't comfort her just yet. I needed to focus on my job now, which was to keep her safe. So, I kept an eye on the left passenger door window for the Maserati.

It was still in pursuit, and it was currently dangerously close that the driver could bump his or her car in any seconds now.

Thus, to protect Anica from whatever the driver was planning, kinalas ko ang seatbelt niya. I'd then pulled her left arm and in the process, her body from the chair to the space in between the front and back seats. Yes, I temporarily put her in there for her safety.

I'd then motioned her to stay and wait for my signal, and she just nodded.

I gazed back at the race car again, which had gone closer. And whoever was driving was about to bump us on the tail, when thankfully bumagal na ang takbo niya dahil malapit na kami sa toll gate ng Tarlac-Pangasinan-La Union Expressway or TPLEx in short.