Prologue

Anica's POV

"Jon, hindi ito magandang biro, ha?" medyo natatawa kong sambit sa boyfriend ko. Because what he said a bit earlier sounded like a big joke. Or so I wished.

But it wasn't. In fact, he was very serious that his tone was beyond reasonable doubts.

Yes, we're in the middle of a deep and dramatic conversation. And yes, he was breaking up with me for an unknown reason.

Speaking of, we were here at the secret spot of the Hacienda Villaflor.

Sa dulo nito, may isang burol na nagsisilbing pala tandaan ng hangganan ng hacienda. From there, one could see the Hacienda Katerina, the vast land owned by the Eatons. On the top of the hill, you could see the two big farms, and it was like you're in between the two great families and friends at a time.

"I'm sorry Barb, I love you but I have to do this," dinig kong sambit ni Gunny sa akin. His voice was clouded with regret and sadness. Nakayuko siya at nakaupo sa bato sa may hill, and I guessed it was to hide his face from me.

I just couldn't control the tugging in my heart because I was about to lose the only man I had ever loved. The setting sun highlighted his face as he began to look at me. It was, at that moment, full of emotions. Were some of that anger? Regret?

I wasn't sure I read that right. What I knew and was sure of, was that kung anumang dahilan niya, it wasn't the third party he was claiming to have.

And no, I wasn't in denial or anything like that. I knew, because there wasn't any sign of him cheating on me. He maintained his consistency throughout our two-year relationship kasi.

I also knew na he was just stopping himself from talking his words back and apologizing. But that wasn't what I wanted. I wanted him to choose me wholeheartedly, without any hesitation nor lingering thoughts.

With that in mind, I just decided to play along. I stared at him, looked deeply into his eyes, and blankly ordered, "Tell me you don't love me anymore while looking at me straight in the eye."

So, he attempted to. With his eyes on mine he'd uttered stutteringly, "I d-don't love y-you any--." But he was unable to finish his sentence because he choked. Before he did, his eyes suddenly wetted with overflowing tears.

Yes, for the first time ever, I saw him break down. Given how strong-willed he was, I was taken aback when I saw him crying.

Naghinala na ako at that point. Para kasing alam ko na kung sino ang may gustong makipag-break siya sa akin, at kung bakit siya sumunod sa gusto nito.

With my frustration mounting up against my father, I said sternly as I sharpened my gaze at Gunny, "Sige. Let's break up. I'm going to Paris anyway, and a long distance relationship won't work between us."

"Paris? Did you just get accepted at L'Institut Maraggoni?" he asked a bit excitedly, referring to my application to the world-class fashion design school.

Alam kasi niya na matagal ko nang pangarap iyon. He also knew how hard I worked my butt off just to have that paper.

But because we just broke up, I gave him the cold shoulders. I nodded silently and expressionlessly. I felt bad for the both of us.

As he realized my stance, he suddenly changed his tone. In a blink of an eye, he uttered without much expression in his face, "Good luck there, Nics."

"Likewise Jon," sabi ko sa kaparehong tono.

And with that, I turned and walked away from him. I felt that he really wanted to hug me from behind and stop me, but for whatever reason, he didn't.

So, when I was already a couple of steps away and was sure na hindi siya sumunod, umupo na ako sa paahan ko para umiyak. Binuhos ko muna ang sama ng loob ko, knowing well na I would face my father heads-on later as soon as I reached home.

After a few minutes, naglakad na ako pauwi.

"Manang Flor, nasaan si Papa?" inis na tanong ko sa head maid namin pagkadating ko sa mansyon. Nasa salas na ako currently.

"Nasa kusina. Hinihintay ka Nics," walang anumang sagot niya.

Thus, I quickly headed there. As I opened the door, I angrily shouted and said, "Pa, can we talk inside your study?"

"Ate, calm down first," sambit ng nakakabata kong kapatid na si Yna sa akin habang inaangat na ang ulo mula sa gawi ng math notebook niya. Yes, she was doing her homework currently with our father.

Ate's and Daddy's girl as she was, she tried to interfere in between us elders.

"Sheena, it's okay. Wait here, kakausapin ko lang ang Ate mo," sambit ni Papa as he stood up and walked towards my direction.

He led the way to his study. And when he closed the door from behind, I finally blurted out my pent-up frustrations.

Tanong ko, "Pa, did you tell Jon to break up with me?"

"Yes, I did, Nics. Don't get me wro--," deretsahan niyang sagot at akmang magpapaliwanag pa, nang putulin ko iyon.

"Why? I thought you like him for me? You trust him that much? Bakit Pa? I don't understand this!" Tila ay tumitirik ang mata ko in disbelief as I uttered this.

He explained, "Anak, you're my eldest, and more than anyone of my children, I want you to succeed so you can be their role model! I asked you kung tutuloy ka sa Paris, but it seems you're having second thoughts because of Jon! What do you want me to do? I just want to secure your future as your father!"

"But not this way Pa! Bakit kailangan pa kami masaktan! You could have talk to the both of us!" kastigo ko,

Thus, he spoke further, "Look Nica, do you think I haven't thought of this? Kung meron mang nakaka kilala sayo ng lubos, ako yun! I'm your father and I know how rebellious you can be! You always reason your way with us, and you get away with it. Ano sa tingin mo ang mangyayari with Jon? That's why I talked to him. Because I know I can reason out things with him man to man."

At that point, I really got mad at him. Pasigaw kong usal, "So you manipulate him instead because you know you can never manipulate me? How can you do that to Jon! He's like a son to you! Ako ang nasasaktan para sa kanya, because you don't have any idea kung gaano kasakit sa kanya na iwan ako!"

"Look anak, ang babata pa ninyo. I agreed to your relationship kahit ang babata ninyo pa, because I trust Jon. I actually like him for you. But now is not the right time anak, you both have dreams to chase. Did you know Jon passed the PMA exam? But like you, he's having second thoughts. See, what will happen sa future ninyo, if you would only think about today? I love you both, and kung sa future kayo pa rin, so be it. I will never be against it, I'll find a way so you can find each other again. That I promise. You will never lose each other as long as you love each other, kahit magkalayo man kayo. Just for now, give your dreams some time okay? Love can wait anak, but opportunities come only once," he calmly said.

"You know what? This conversation is pointless," sambit ko as I turned away from him and headed to the door.

"I'm going out Pa! Doon muna ako matutulog kila Tito Karl," I added on the same angry manner before I shut the door loudly.

Thus, I quickly went to my room to pack things inside my backpack.

Bringing it with me, I then exited my family home and headed to Eaton's farm, where I and my family was always welcome, courtesy of Sheena's friendship with the daughter of the owners, Karen Mattielle Eaton.