CHAPTER 13

News of Mr. Asante's death traveled across the country and beyond like bush fire. Although not many of his family members contributed to his funeral, Mrs. Asante made sure it was befitting and exquisite. She broke her bank for it with full confidence that what she spent on the funeral was nothing compared to what she would get from his properties.
Most of his family members did not show up because there was a old feud in his family which started from his grandfather's time that had not been solved. The family still held on firmly to that feud, refusing to patch things up. As for Mrs. Asante, she had completely cut ties with her siblings and extended family because she thought of them as opportunists and gold diggers.
As she waited for her late husband's lawyer with the two men of the house, she pondered on her achievements. She, Rose Asante, made the Asantes. She was the brain behind the mansions, firms, estates, companies. Her ruthlessness and tenacity was what kept the family and her dark secrets would die with her.
"The lawyer is here", the maid's voice cut through her thoughts. Mrs. Asante stood to welcome the lawyer who appeared to be in his late sixties. He came with a young man and they both took turns in shaking hands with the family.
"I'm Jones Ofori, your husband's lawyer for over thirty years now and I have the original copy of his written will", the lawyer stated. "the gentleman here with me is Hayford Asante, who is the first child of Mr. Asante".
This came as a shock to Carlos and Chris who thought they were the only children born to Mr. Asante.
Mrs. Asante was petrified and cast her mind back. She met Richard about thirty one years ago when she was a waitress in a chop bar. Richard happened to be a regular customer and always made obvious advances at her. It wasn't long before they got into a situationship. A situationship and not relationship because he had a girlfriend who was heavily pregnant. Rose convinced Richard to leave his girlfriend if he really wanted her. She was a very beautiful girl then, and a hot cake. Richard was definitely not ready to lose Rose so he denied ever having anything to do with his girlfriend's pregnancy. He called her a prostitute and told her to go and look for the father of the bastard she was carrying.
About two years later, Rose and Richard got married. Richard had a sister who died due to complications after childbirth and that's how Carlos became a member of the family. On her dying bed, Richard promised his sister no one would ever know Carlos wasn't his son and that he'd treat Carlos like his own.
Rose was beautiful and curvy so many men sought after her in her prime. She was known to be a licentious woman who flaunted her beauty but Richard still went after her. No wonder Rose underestimated her husband. He was a simp and a coward. He always sought her advice before making any move, like he didn't have a head of his own.
Rose got pregnant, but the child wasn't Richard's. To keep Chris's original father from running his loose mouth, Rose poisoned him and got away with it without leaving any traces, or so she thought.
Unknown to her, Richard went in search of his first son after he heard of the demise of his girlfriend. He sent his son abroad quietly and made sure the boy was comfortable.
Most of his property abroad, his estates, houses, foreign accounts and branches were handed over to Hayford. All the estates in Ghana, his company, houses, and accounts were handed over to Carlos. Even the Asante mansion was left to Carlos.
He left Mrs. Asante a sum of ten thousand cedis and a house in her hometown.
Aside the will, there was also a letter in which he stated that he found out Chris wasn't his biological son two years ago after conducting a secret DNA test.
"Chris had the best of me", the lawyer read Mr. Asante's letter, "he went to the best and most expensive schools, received the love of a mother and father and lacked nothing. It broke my heart to find out that all these years I was deceived by my wife. As a result, I won't be leaving him any property. I have given him everything already, I have nothing more for him".
The family was beyond shocked. Apparently, Mrs. Asante's secret had been uncovered after so many years. Her past caught up with her and she was going to pay dearly for it. She rushed to her room while everyone  tried to process all the information they just heard.
Chris saw his destiny fall from the top and crash into pieces. All he had was his two houses, three cars, an annoying  wife and no job.
For thirty minutes no one spoke, until the lawyer got up and left with the promise of returning later to finalize things.
Mrs. Asante was later rushed to the hospital after she overdosed over fifty different drugs at a go in her room.
She was later to be charged and arrested for murder and attempted suicide. The results of the autopsy performed on Mr. Asante also showed that he was fed with a slow poison that was eating up his liver, and Mrs. Asante was the prime suspect.
The news went viral and everyone was talking about it. It was as if there was someone reporting live from the Asante mansion.
"I don't know if this is good news or bad news", Anne said with tears falling down her cheeks, "I feel vindicated but this is just too bad".
"Mummy it's okay you're making me emotional I don't want to cry", Marintia was already tearing up.
"What's it with you two? You should be popping champagne. The wicked have gotten a dose of their own poison and you're here crying for them?", Adele said bewildered by their attitude. Wendy and Sophie sided with her. There was nothing to cry about. In fact, they should be neither sad nor happy because that family was no longer known to them.