one || day one - coffee.

"Man, who knew eating at uni could be so damn expensive?"

Kaito had been wandering around the food court of Hope's Peak University for the past half-hour, trying to find something to eat for lunch. Unfortunately, college cuisine prices weren't too kind to broke students such as himself.

"I think the universe is telling you to get a job."

That comment came from Kokichi, Kaito's friend (...Well, sort of. It was more of a convenience thing.), who decided to tag along—despite the many, many, many times Kaito specifically said not to.

Kaito scoffed. "Right, because you know so much about jobs."

"I know more than you," Kokichi shot back. "At least I can actually save my money."

"I do know how to save my money, actually." Okay, maybe Kaito's statement wasn't completely true, but he'd be damned if he let Kokichi of all people have the last laugh. "I still have some of my savings left!"

"Not enough to buy some decent food, that's for sure."

Kaito clenched his fists and grumbled. "Hey, if you're gonna tag along and annoy me, can you at least help me find a cheap place we can eat at?"

"Ha!" Kokichi laughed. "So you admit you're broke! But, fine. We'll be here all day if I don't."

Kaito rolled his eyes, but continued with his own search nonetheless. He could barely turn his head, however, before Kokichi had latched onto his wrist and practically began dragging him through the wave of people bustling through the food court.

"H-Hey! Slow down!"

Kokichi did, eventually, slow down once they'd reached a rather secluded part of the court.

"Ta-da!"

Kokichi gestured grandly at the building before them; it was a cozy little building, painted an oak brown. Several plants were intricately placed along the windowsills, and a chalkboard sign sat just outside the door, listing off the day's specials in different colors.

Kaito stared for a bit longer before looking back at Kokichi, who was giving him a smug smile.

"Am I a genius or what?"

Kaito, however, furrowed his brows. "...A cafe? But they're so...lame."

Kokichi's smile dropped into a frown. "What do you mean by that? Cafes are totally un-lame!"

"To you, maybe. But..." Kaito awkwardly scratched the back of his neck. "I don't know, man... They're just not my thing, I guess. We should go somewhere else. C'mon."

Kaito began to walk off, while Kokichi stayed back and watched, still frowning. Suddenly, that frown twisted into an amused smile, and he shrugged. "Oh, I get it. You're just too chicken to step foot inside a cafe, right?"

That statement caused Kaito to stop dead in his tracks and whip around, leveling Kokichi with narrowed eyes as he stomped back over to Kokichi. "Who the hell are you calling chicken?"

"If you weren't, then you'd have no problem eating at a cafe, right?"

"I'm not chicken! I already told you, they're just not my thing!"

Kokichi's smirk only grew wider in response. "Why don't you put your money where your mouth is, then?—what little of it you have, anyway."

"What, you mean a bet?"