[Twelve] My Best Night of Eternity (So Far)

Despite the fact I am turning into a terrifying creature of the night, I've never been more terrified clinging to Neil around his torso and zooming through the air on a broomstick.

It's not necessarily uncomfortable of a ride (Neil's installed—or should I say magicked?—an actual seat to the broom, so we're as cozy as motorcycle riders), but being so high up and seeing our feet dangle and observing the great expanse below us is enough to make me feel a little sick to my stomach.

"Focus on the view in front!" Neil shouts over the sound of our own wind as we ride through the air. "And don't close your eyes! You'll just get sick!"

"Reminds me of my cousin on the Mission Space ride at Epcot!" I manage to shout before Neil yanks the broom to the left. "He closed his eyes on the ride and puked in the bushes once we got outside!" We veer onward.

Neil's torso trembles beneath me, and I realize he's laughing. "Is Epcot that Disney thing?"

"That Disney thing?! Dude—" But then I shriek as we dive. Neil lets out a whoop, and I hug him even tighter. In a bold move, I hook my chin over one of his shoulders and try to settle my flying anxiety.

It's kind of beautiful, in its own way. I love the feel of the wind on my cheek, despite how chilly it is the higher we flew. The images of the city blur together, humans and Underworlders alike, buildings streaking in my vision. Before I know it, Neil's landed us in the park around the corner from my apartment. He disembarks and then holds the broom while I do the same. My legs shake a bit, and I stumble off. Neil smirks, and I roll my eyes. "Don't even."

"Okay," he says, smiling a big toothy grin, "I won't."

"But you want to."

He chuckles, waving his hand around. All of a sudden, his broom contracts, folding in on itself until it deposits itself in Neil's flannel pocket. "It's just cute," he adds, "to see a vampire so off-kilter."

"Gee, thanks," I grumble, but I can't help but smile, close-lipped, back at him. "I take it you don't give every vampire you meet a broomstick ride."

"A romantic broomstick ride," he adds. "Though, was that romantic? You screaming in my ear the whole ride?"

"I did not scream—"

He reaches for my hand, cradling it in his and rubbing a thumb over my knuckles. "I'm just kidding. You're just really cute, Vic."

"Thank you." We stand there, him holding my hand and rubbing his thumb across the top of it. It's soothing, almost making me want to close my eyes, but then I turn my hand over to encase his in mine. We don't weave fingers, but the pressure of our palms together and the way we wrap our fingers around the other's hand has an intimacy all on its own. I tug him lightly. "Come on. I know a good place where we can sit down."

He follows me. Though we walk in silence, it's peaceful, rather than an awkward air. It's early evening, the sun edging its way down in the sky, with streaks of red and orange shooting around, through, and behind billowy clouds. The air nips at my cheeks in a way that suggests autumn will soon take its helm from summer. We start out on the path, but then I lead him through the grass and through tall bushes. This place is decently known, so there's a chance we may run into others who've decided to go off the path, but it's also not easy to see the entrance to the naked eye. I peek behind at Neil to check in; he smiles and nods in return, so we continue onward, the sounds of singing cicadas winding around us. At last, I lead Neil through one final bush, holding the tiny branches back for him, and we cross the threshold to our destination.

Neil's mouth flies open. "Whoa."

His eyes twinkle as they take in our surroundings, and for a second I'm lost in watching him. Before he can see I've been staring, I turn and also look at this hidden creek I know so well. Kalki and I used to beg our parents to come play here when we were younger. We'd pretend we were adventurers, and for a second I imagine the two of us, little-er, our grubby hands splashing down the flowing water. I don't realize my lips are curled up when Neil says, "You've been here before, haven't you?" He stretches and plops down on one of the larger boulders at the edge of the water.