Chapter Fourteen

"Hagrid always wanted a dragon

"Hagrid always wanted a dragon. Told us so the first time we ever met him."

Their trip to Hagrid's hut had been cut short by a snooping Slytherin who had probably run back to the castle to tell a teacher about the students being out so late.

"It's crazy." Ron said. "And worse, Malfoy knows."

"I don't understand. Is that bad?" Harry asked as they walked through the halls.

Ron stopped in the middle of the hallway and the other three stopped to see McGonagall waiting for them. "It's bad."

Just as Hollyn had feared, the snitch ran off to rat them out. "Good evening." The professor greeted the students with an unhappy look. Malfoy walked out from behind her with a sly smirk on his face.

- - -

"Nothing, I repeat, nothing gives a student the right to walk about the school at night. Therefore, as punishment for your actions, 50 points will be taken." McGonagall said.

"50?" Harry repeated as the other three's jaws dropped.

"Each." McGonagall added. Hollyn's only thought was that her first chance at getting to win something just sped away. "And to ensure that it doesn't happen again, all five of you will receive detention."

"Excuse me, professor." Malfoy stepped up with a concerned look. "Perhaps I heard you wrong. I thought you said the five of us."

"No, you heard me correctly, Mr. Malfoy. You see, honorable as your intentions were, you too were out of bed after hours. You will join your classmates in detention."

Draco looked back at the four Gryffindor's who's shocked faces now held the same smirk Malfoy had moments ago.

- - -

"A pity they let the old punishments die. There was a time detention would find you hanging by your thumbs in the dungeons." Filch said as he led the five to Hagrid's hut. "God, I miss the screaming."

"Pity." Hollyn mumbled with sarcasm lacing the word.

"You'll be serving detention with Hagrid tonight." At the time they got to the hut Hagrid was already ready to leave. Armed with a lantern and crossbow. "He's got a little job to do inside the Dark Forest. A sorry lot this, Hagrid. Oh, good God, man, you're not still on about that bloody dragon, are you?"

Hagrid just managed a sniffle and held his crossbow under his arm. "Norbert's gone. Dumbledore sent him off to Romania to live in a colony." Hagrid explained.

"Well, that's good, isn't it? He'll be with his own kind." Hermione reminded him.

"Yeah, but what if he don't like Romania? What if the other dragons are mean to him? He's only a baby, after all."