Chapter 27: The End

So it was settled, the Blaine family were to move to Canada and the Pinkertons would just be a problem that was completely evaded altogether. I think Frederick has his mind set on being trappers. I can live with that, selling pelts can't possibly led to crime, right? Regardless, by the next sunrise, we were already loading everything into a wagon and making sure we had enough horse feed to last us the journey. Frederick tended to Stalone, as her and Wiona would be pulling the wagon being they were the biggest mounts. Frederick opted to ride Caroline's horse instead of riding with us on the wagon since her horse was far too small to pull us and the heavy amounts of equipment we had. Caroline asked if we could stop by Deak and Mother's grave, but Frederick made a point that it'd be too risky to go all the way to Texas just to look at two crosses and assured her that they'd be with us in spirit at all times.

There was a photograph that Caroline had printed, it was of the family, before Frederick had eliminated Rodney and Davis. Although their faces were crudely scratched out anyway. It was a beautiful photo. We were all about ten years younger. I stared at the photograph for a long time before handing it back to Caroline. I was driving the wagon, seemed right as I was older than Caroline. Frederick, mounted on Caroline's horse, led us as we drove. We made it to Washington within two nights where we set a small campsite to rest the horses and ourselves at. We sat in a circle around the fire, our bedrolls rolled out as we sat upon them. Frederick had caught three salmons from a nearby lake, so we had the equivalent to a thieves kings meal. With chopped potatoes and thick fish fillets, we slept well after our feast.

Frederick woke me up before the sun rose, along with Caroline who was groggily climbing up to her seat on the wagon.

"You're riding today." Frederick's morning voice croaked. "Hop on Caroline's horse and we'll be off." The thick collar of his frock coat was flipped, indicating he had just woken up himself as he was unkempt.

I sat up, my back screaming from the stiffness of the ground. I rolled my head and nearly popped every bone in my spinal cord along with my neck, then quickly fastened my shirt buttons and mounted Caroline's small Standardbred. The horse, like herself, was the youngest being only about three or so years old. Caroline rode a beautifully built Mustang before it died of natural causes for the longest time. This horse, albeit smaller in frame, was admittedly the perfect fit for a fragile bird such as Caroline.

We drove North into the pines and the brush that Washington was so famous for. It wasn't very established, I could count the amount of towns we passed through on my fingers. A peaceful escape is what I'll call it. Unknown to everyone but ourselves was the fact that we were just another group of criminals, evading arrest. Hopefully, with the new scenery and the fact that it's out of the United States, this family's reputation won't yet be tarnished. I speak as if I'm even related to any of them, in a sense, I'd ought to be. These people have taken me in under their wing and protected me for more than a decade. Why not consider myself one of them? Because of the complexion of my skin? Tobuscus in thought, and pointless to even consider. I was a Blaine. I am a Blaine. I have fought and bled with this family, and shed many tears for the members in it.

Despite all of our efforts to erase our existence from the governments radar. Each of us, myself included, will forever be in the Blaine family gang. I've learned many things these past months, but one thing that has remained prevalent and important, is family. While I may never meet my actual mother again, I know I'll forever have Eshay Blaine with me in my heart, and for me, that's good enough.