Guardian Cat

"A King will weep for his Freedom

A Servant will weep for the Crown."

Lynx was good at being there without being there. The comoflosh tech helped too. He sat in a corner of the apartment watching as a ten year old Matt McGinnis kill zombie after zombie. Mary McGinnis worked tirelessly on a computer on her fifth cup of coffee. He saw one math problem and hurried away from the computer.

Boredom won over and he wondered into the bed rooms. Matt's was easy to find as was Mary's. The second bedroom on the other hand looked barely lived in but clearly someone claimed it. Lynx poked at the pristinely made bed and organized desk. Opening a drowar Lynx counted a hand full of shirts and less pairs of pants.

"Who in the hell lives here?" Lynx muttered to himself, "Like come on. No posters. No dirty laundry. Not even a charging cord."

Finally he opened one of the desk droawer and saw it full of photos. Lynx blinked, surprised. Pulling the pile of photos out he skimmed through them. They were mostly of four people thought there were two others popping up occasionally. The main four included the two he was protecting currently, Matt and Mary, but another two popped up. An older teenage boy and an older man. Weirdly enough Neither the teen or Matt looked like the two parents.

A knock on the door startled Lynx into dropping the photos. He hesitated a moment before slipping out and watching Mary going to answer the door. A stone dropped into his stomach. This didn't seem right.

"Can I help you?" Mary questioned, not fulling letting the chain from the door.

There was a gasp and than a scream. Lynx ran out of his hiding spot, pulling Mary away and stabbing the hand holding her through the door. She screamed again and Lynx dropped his cloaking, "We need to leave." He growled at her. She stared at him for a moment even as Matt stared at him from behind the couch, "NOW!" Lynx barked.

"Why should I trust you?"

The door banged open, catching on the chain.

"Either you trust me or them." Lynx growled, "Come on!"

Mary nodded, pulling Matt away from Lynx. Lynx rushed them into the absent bedroom and started shoving the two out the window to the roof only a few feet below. They ran across it as Lynx felt a return vibrate from his emergency beacon. Help was coming.

Lynx pulled the other two to a stop as three black covered people blocked their paths. Lynx put himself between the three and his charge. Assassins. These were assassins. Lynx held up his fists.

"Stand aside." One of them growled, "We will kill you."

"Than kill me." Lynx growled, "Because your not getting them unless over my dead body."

"That won't be a problem." Another grunted pulling out a two daggers. The other assassins pulled other weapons.

Lynx pulled his own bullwhip out. Mary moved back, pulling Matt behind her. Matt watched with abbot attention. This was the second time he got to see a fight like this. He looked around, "Batman will be here soon." He told his mother, "He will!"

Lynx desperately hoped the boy was right. Now of all times would be the best ever time for the Bat to sweep in. They charged. Lynx deflected his best, but knives sliced, daggers punchers. A hot searing pain went through his cheek as something hit him. He punched and kick his way through them. One went down eventually but two were still left. A foot collided with his knee and Lynx dropped. Face slamming into concrete sent ringing through his temple. Lynx grunted once as a boot collided with his gut.