Ch 20

Panthershade twisted in the birds grasp and clawed at its belly, but it hardly seemed to phase the mighty bird.

Panthershade stared down at the clearing below which was drifting farther with every flap of the Eagles wings. Panic flared up in Panthershade. She twisted her head and sunk her teeth into the birds leg.

A screech split the air as her teeth scratch the bone of the bird. Suddenly the grasp of the bird released and Panthershade fell tapes the ground.

Panthershade hit the ground with a thud and knocked the air from her lungs. Panthershade struggled to her paws, gasping for breath as she glanced around the clearing. All the other Warriors were cowering at the edge of the clearing yowling in terror. Panthershade spotted Leopardfrost who's eyes sparkled with pleasure.

Panthershade saw the bird swoop down once more, but before it could grasp her she leapt into the air and landed on the wing of the eagle and started clawing furiously at it ripping feathers from it.

The bird started to flap harder and Panthershade grasped tighter on the flurry of feathers. Panthershade struck out a well aimed paw and her paw smashed against the neck of the eagle. A crack sounded at the impact of her paw and the bird began to fall from the air, Panthershade still clinging on.

At the last moment Panthershade thrusted put with her hind legs and tumbled on the ground away from the bird as it crashed into the ground.

Panthershade lifted her head her sides heaving as her lungs screamed for air. Her clanmates were slowly creeping out of their dens and Nightfox and falcons each burst into camp obviously they had heard the bird screeching.

Falconscreech spotted panthershade and bolted record her with a yowl of surprise and horror. Panthershade let her head ready on her paws as he began to lick her wound. "Are you ok? What happened? We have to tell Foxstar!" gasped between licks.

"No need." Foxstar's meow sounded behind them, falconscreech whipped around and stared at their leader while Panthershade stayed where she was to exhausted to move.

Foxstar called the clan together and helped Panthershade to her paws." Panthershade has risked her life saving a kit from an eagle, this is a message from Starclan they approve her as deputy!" Foxstar yowled to the clan.

Her clanmates raised their head and yowled her name. Honor And happiness raise up inside her.

" go see featherwind" Foxstar whispered into her ear. She got to her paws and padded over to the medicine cats den but the black kit raced in front of her.

"Thank you for saving me Panthershade." He muttered looking at his paws in embarrassment.

Panthershade leaned forward and licked the kit between his ears. " anything for my clan." She purred before padding away to featherwind a den. She pushed inside and featherwind sat inside a pile of herbs in front of him.

" ah panthershade I've been waiting on you" he meows briskly.

Panthershade say in front of him and he leaned word her ear. " the panther in the shade will be challenged by the frosted leopard but if the bond is not fixed the fait if the clan will hang in the balance!" He hissed