11. Sage

Day three and I was mentally exhausted and my hope was somewhere between pitiful and desperate

Day three and I was mentally exhausted and my hope was somewhere between pitiful and desperate. Sat at the kitchen table, I buried my head in my hands. For the last two hours, I'd been on the phone to Zander, Hunter's brother in the USA and Ruth, who was still in Scotland with the children.

Lifting my head, I moved my fingers to my temple, rubbing in slow circles to draw out the tension.

It didn't work.

Guilt twisted up my insides from my lies. I'd told Zander Hunter was slowly recovering his memories.

He wasn't.

Or if he was, he wasn't telling me. But Zander's wife and mate, Andrea, was pregnant with their third child and suffering complications, so the last thing I wanted was to pile more worry onto his plate.

I could handle this—fix this.

Oui, right. The voice inside my head snarked and my wolf grumbled in agreement.

Do you have any suggestions? I asked my wolf, who only whined in reply.

Oui thought so.

The conversation with Ruth, however, had been the complete opposite. I'd confessed, or rather broke down, over the phone and told her everything, including that he was pulling away from me, and my fear of losing him. An empty box of tissues later, she tried her best to reassure me it would be okay.

I wasn't so sure anymore.

How could you get through to someone who seemed happy with the way things stood?

But Ruth was right. It was time the children came home, and we reminded Hunter he was a father above all else, no matter what happened between us.

So I was expecting the children back home this evening. Which left me seven hours to stir some memories... feelings. Or at least make damn sure he didn't treat his children the way he was treating me.

Sighing, slumping in my chair, I felt lost at sea. Every attempt at trying to reach him had been futile and if I was being totally honest, he wasn't making any effort. It didn't help that I'd hardly stolen a moment alone with him, and stealing was a good comparison because we certainly weren't sharing any.

Even on his first night home, I had to beg him to share our bed with me. It lasted an hour with him pulling away from my touch, with him telling me he needed space. Time to think.

He moved into the spare room next to Janine's—his bloody nurse.

Staring down at my third cup of lukewarm tea, I had to do something. Sitting here waiting wasn't cutting it. My eyes flicked to the clock above the cooker.  I was alone in the house. Hunter was at the office and thankfully Janine had made herself scarce. She hadn't dared look my way since I'd been inside her head. I'd also planted a few images of what would happen to her if she touched my mate in any way inappropriate.