22. Hunter

If something was going smoothly, always expect the universe to fuck that shit up

My recent kidnapping and torture at the hands of my mother and her psychotic dead lover was a case in point.

And as I followed Ruth down the staircase, my mind was going nuts trying to figure out the connection that tied all this together. Made some sense.

And what was Ruth's part in all this?

But one thing I trusted was my gut, and it was telling me to trust Ruth.

At the bottom of the staircase, Ruth flipped round and placed a hand on my upper arm and said in a soft voice. "Tonight, you are going to learn things. About me. Your dad and..." she heaved a vast sigh, her eyes falling from mine.

"Ruth?" I prompted when it seemed clear she wasn't sure what to say.

"I just need you to know, Hunter, that everything I did was for you and Zander. Both of you."

Feeling a frown crease my forehead, I wondered why she looked so damn uncomfortable and then she jerked her hand away as if she accidentally had it on an open flame.

Opening my mouth to say something, she spun around and waved her hand over the door, and it opened.

Yeah, you heard me right. She waved her hand over the door and the handle moved all on its own!

What the fuck was happenin' here? 

Door now wide open, I went to stop her, but she was already two steps ahead of me, plowing forward, her feet silent, and then she came to an abrupt stop.

"Heavens above." She lifted her hand to her perch it under her nose. "Hunter. The smell in here..."

Yeah, that would be my mother's bladder. Oops.

Ruth squinted at me. "Why the gods are there no windows down here or proper ventilation?"

I cocked a brow at her. "You can blame Zander for that."

Elaine lifted her head, staring at Ruth with a gaze so sharp it surprised me it didn't slice through an artery, and then I heard her crow. "Look what my bastard son dragged in..." Sneering. "Come to watch me die, half-breed?"

Ruth ignored her.

I parked right alongside Ruth, keeping my feet spread wide as I slipped my hands into my trouser pockets, flicking my chin up. "Telling jokes again are we, Elaine." Scoffing. "Son?"

I didn't know why she kept referring to herself as my mother. Perhaps my torturing had affected her fragile little mind?

Fragile?  Ha, yeah, right. This woman was a fragile as my ego.

Growing up, it was my dad who had always been there for me. My first shift. First hunt. First time I ripped out the throat of another wolf for breaking the law. I was fourteen.