Chapter Thirteen

The maids rushed to my room to find out what had happened, and Clarice was able to wrangle them into cleaning up the mess after a brief explanation. Thanks to her care, I was only half an hour late to my next lesson, and the rest of the day proceeded normally. At dinner, Eleanor's glare was hotter than usual, but she did not say anything.

Father, however, spoke once we were all situated. As the first course was being served, he addressed me: "I heard that you used magic against Eleanor earlier today." He didn't seem angry at this — his tone expressed a mild interest, the same tone one would use to ask someone about why their hair was in a different style than usual.

Since he didn't seem to have jumped to any conclusions on his own, I decided it was best to give a simple answer. "That is correct, father," was my reply. Any further information would wait until he decided how to get to the bottom of the incident.

There were myriad reactions to this. Simon was shocked — even more shocked than he had been when he'd learned that I'd become Exalted. He looked back and forth between Eleanor and myself with wide-eyed surprise. Penelope looked concerned. Uncle, after surmising the result of my magic from Eleanor's glare, was doing a poor job holding back a smug grin. Father's patience seemed to be thinning as he replied, "It would be best if you told me exactly what happened."

I complied. "Eleanor intruded into my chambers while I was resting between my lessons. When Clarice greeted her, she insulted Clarice, calling her the 'daughter of a lesser noble'. She demanded a duel with me. I asked her to apologize to Clarice, which offended her to the extent that she slapped my teacup out of my hand. When I told her that she was being rude, she began to draw her wand. I used a spell to remove her from the room before she could cause any more trouble."

"Father, that's—" Eleanor began, but she was immediately silenced by my father's own glare.

Although it wasn't directed at me, the look on his face caused me to break out in a cold sweat. I'd seen him angry before, but this was something beyond that. He was actually shaking as he took in a deep breath to keep his tone steady. "Was there any lie in your sister's words? I am particularly interested in your insult to Clarice, slapping your sister's teacup out of her hand, and whether you were the first to draw your wand."

"Father, when I went to speak with Annabelle, her servant—" she was interrupted again by a loud bang and the jingle of cutlery. Father had slammed his fist into the table as Eleanor had tried to make excuses. When he withdrew his hand, there was a slight dent in the mahogany. Eleanor immediately understood the meaning of his interruption and cast her eyes downward, replying, "Everything she said was true."

Father nodded. The shock of my account seemed to have subsided, replaced by a seething fury. His voice remained level, however, as he said, "Do you have even the slightest comprehension of why I am so angry? You are my youngest child, who is not even considered for succession, yet you act with an arrogance that would be unbefitting even the successor. To call Count Rodan a lesser noble? If his majesty the King himself said such a thing, I would challenge him to a duel without hesitation. No one insults my vassals, do you understand? No one. And that is not even to mention your treatment of your sister. To think you would draw your wand on her simply because she finally built up the courage to confront you." He paused, allowing the weight of his words to sink in.

Part of me wanted to intervene at this point, to tell father that it was nothing so major, and that as far as I was concerned, the matter was settled. The rest, however, was feeling a surge of vindication. I was almost gleeful to see Eleanor withering under our father's gaze, unable to even meet his eye. He had scolded her before, but never to this extent. I felt that I could not have achieved better vengeance if I had planned it.