𝟎𝟏. 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐰𝐚𝐰𝐚𝐲 𝐬𝐢𝐝𝐞𝐤𝐢𝐜𝐤

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐂𝐑𝐎𝐖𝐃 was utterly silent. Most jaws were tightened into a disapproving glare while a few other soldiers had a jeering grin plastered to their faces. As the star-spangled poster boy stood on the stage overlooking the group of soldiers just five miles from the Italian front lines, David pinched the bridge of his nose as a result of second hand embarrassment.

Introduced as Captain America, Steve cleared his throat, hoping to ease the tension. His hesitation to continue didn't go unnoticed either. "How many of you are ready to help me sock old Adolf on the jaw?"

David sighed and muttered under his breath. "If I'd known this was gonna follow me out of the country, I might never have left Brooklyn..."

From beside him, Jonathan Juniper scoffed in bemused agreement. "You just might wanna do yourself a favor and smother yourself 'neath your pillow tonight."

David rolled his eyes at the snide comment from the soldier who'd grown on him over the past few weeks. When they'd first been introduced to one another as bunk mates during their initial training, he'd been less than thrilled. However, it was hard to picture any waking moment without the soldier by his side. He was the only person who'd actually tried to console him once he learned of his brother's disappearance. The rest of the infantry had understandably told him to suck it up and move on, lingering in worry would only get him killed.

Steve continued to stumble over his words, revealing how uncomfortable he was standing before the public eye, no matter how much he'd previously tried to fake confidence. "Okay—uh—I need a volunteer."

"I already volunteered! How do you think I got here?" A heckler somewhere in the heart of the crowd shouted to be heard, additionally egged on by the laughter around him. "Bring back the girls!"

The crowd cheered in agreement and Steve faltered again. "I think they only know the one song. But um—let me—I'll—I'll see what I can do."

"You do that, sweetheart," the heckler jeered.

A second joined the first as the rest of the crowd turned on the super-soldier. "Nice boots, Tinker Bell!"

A hurt look crossed Steve's face, visible even from the back of the crowd. "Come on, guys. We're all on the same team here."

He looked out into the crowd, looking for some sign of support. His hopes rose as he made eye contact with David, but they were immediately dashed as the lad averted his eyes, directing his gaze toward the ground as if embarrassed.

"Hey, Captain!" Another heckler called for his attention, standing on the shoulders of some of his pals. He pulled down his pants, flashing the captain with more than just a shred of indecency and no sign of shame. "Sign this!"

The crowd turned and their hostility increased as they started to throw things at Steve ranging from rotten vegetables from last night's dinner to bits and pieces of their own uniforms. The crowd shouted in dissonance. "Bring back the girls!"

The dancers were ushered back onto the stage as the performing captain took his leave. Juniper failed to hide a pitied laugh as he nudged David's shoulder. "Can't believe you know that guy, Barnes."

David's mouth twisted into a soft frown as he quietly uttered. "I'm not quite sure I do anymore."

His silence fell into lingering bitterness as his eyes drifted toward the side stage where Steve had snuck off, to hopefully go find his dignity. It had been the first time that David had been exposed to Steve's makeover, and he was less than impressed. If he had some sort of so-called enhanced power, he certainly didn't see it because while his brother was missing, Steve didn't appear fazed. The opposite in fact, he appeared to be doing well for himself, and the thought of someone else thriving while he was floundering was infuriating.