A Man And Woman On A Star Stream

The Greek Theater
Los Angeles, California
Sunday, May 20, 2007
(11:00 pm)
********************

"I wrote it about us, about Aspen and what an epic disaster it was."

Stevie was lying beneath Lindsey in a tangle of embroidered coverlets on their mattress on the floor, the big down comforter her mother had given them as a Christmas gift that past holiday season discarded at the end of the bed because of the heat they had generated between their two naked bodies just a few minutes earlier.

"Well it's beautiful, angel," Lindsey told her before leaning in to kiss her. "Only you could take the shit show that Aspen was and spin it into gold...you know, you're a lyrical genius, right?"

"I literally just had sex with you, Linds; no need to butter me up," Stevie teased, afraid she'd start crying if she didn't make light of his compliment.

"I'm being serious here, Stevie...just listen to me for a moment." He knew how shy she became whenever he tried to tell her things like this.

They had gone to bed a little earlier tonight, Stevie exhausted from work and Lindsey promising to hold her until she fell asleep so the nightmares she'd been having all week about money stood a chance of being pushed away by how safe she felt in his arms. Neither of them, however, had been able to sleep, so instead she'd sat up in bed and read him the lyrics to "Sorcerer" as he'd sat dumbfounded at her amazing poetry once again. Their conversation had led to making out which had led to much more, and now he hovered over her, her cheek cradled in the palm of his hand.

"It's a song, baby...I know it's pretty good but..." She tried to avoid looking at him, embarrassed, her eyes moving all around the dark bedroom.

"Hey...don't hide behind your eyes that way, baby," Lindsey said, his fingers now beneath her chin. Her eyes finally met his and she looked almost afraid, as if she were trying to diminish her work to him. He hated the fact that he'd probably given her reason to, and he felt like an insensitive jerk. He said, "You know I love you, right?" All she could muster in response was a nod. "There are very few people in the world who have the gift you have, angel...there are lots of famous people but there are very few stars left...and you are going to be one of them, Stevie. Buckingham Nicks...but don't forget that YOU are the NICKS of that...and you are amazing."

"I just don't want you to think...I don't know...like I think I'm some crazy genius or some girl who thinks she's so much better than everyone else, or..."

Lindsey stopped her with a finger against her lips. "I don't think anything except that you are amazing and you and I are going to be big stars and we are going to have it all, Stephanie...the dream...the big house, the cool stuff we can't afford right now...and me playing 'Stephanie' to you on stage at Madison Square Garden...it's going to happen, angel, and you are the reason why...and I believe in you."

Stevie knew he saw the tears well up in her eyes. "I love you," she said, barely more than a whisper. "I love how much you believe in me, baby...you know how much I believe in you, don't you? You know I think you're amazing too, right?"

"I do, and I can't believe how lucky I am to have the most beautiful girl in the world believe in me," he said. He kissed her, and they rolled over in bed so that he was holding her from behind. Into her hair, he whispered, "Try to get some sleep, angel. I'll hold you."

Stevie closed her eyes to the warmth of his arms around her, taking his hand up to her lips to kiss his fingers before they came to rest against her middle. "Good night, sweetheart," she whispered. "I love you."