(After) A New Friend

"Oh my goodness! You're finally here!"

"Nice to see you again!!"

"Wait, who's that?" Bob asked, taking a sip of his juice and looking at Ron for answers.

"That's Opheebop. She's the popular girl because her parents are so successful and rich."

"Then how is it possible that I haven't seen her before?"

"Oh, she usually goes with her family for business trips since they work a lot. She studies overseas though, never misses on learning things while she's away."

The girl was talking to her group of friends, chatting animatedly about her day and her recent trip. They seem to be as popular as her too and pretty rich as well.

"She's in our class, by the way. But we rarely talk," Ron explained.

When the bell rang signalling that all students were to proceed to class, the two friends went straight to their classroom. After the incident, the two had been closer than ever before, so it was impossible to not see them together in classes.

Opheebop walked inside the classroom, smiling to the rows of students as she took her seat at the back.

"Hey!!! How was your day??" a classmate asked suddenly, beaming.

"It's fine! I'm glad to be back at school!" Opheebop replied back with the same enthusiasm.

"She's so outgoing. No wonder everyone loves her," Bob whispered.

"Yeah, pretty much. Everyone admires her. She's helpful and sweet and—" Ron was interrupted by the teacher walking in.

"Alright class, get your books out. We're going to learn a new chapter today."

After school, the two friends decided to go to have lunch together, with Little Man of course, who agreed when they texted him to meet them.

People still looked at them with confused looks though, even after what happened. Seeing two people who you know pretty well aren't "ordinary" was definitely not on their list of things to expect in school.

So usually they would walk behind to the empty corridor near the gate. It was another way back to the main area, and less attention would be dragged to them.

As they did, they heard sobbing coming from the empty garden.

"I'm gonna check it out."

"Ron! No!"

Bob hurried over to where his friend was walking, trying to navigate the sound. A familiar figure was crouched over, crying to herself.

"Opheebop? What are you doing here?"

The girl looked up to see her classmate staring down at her, bag over his shoulder. Standing next to him was another person, who she recognised as the new classmate she had.

"O-oh. I'm sorry, you weren't supposed to see me like this..." she stammered, wiping her tears with the back of her hand.

"Is there something wrong?"

"I...well...nothing is wrong...it's just...

"I feel I don't have enough."

Ron was surprised. How could the popular girl, who had everything she wanted and needed, the fame and the pride, not have enough?

"I mean, I know I'm popular but...those friends of mine, they only used me so they could be popular too. Acting all sweet and innocent but behind it all they...yell at me when I'm going for trips with my mom and dad because without me they're nothing. Just now, they threatened to spread how neglectful I am and ruin my popularity so they can get the spotlight.

I tried to tell them to treat me like a normal person but they, everyone in school, they wouldn't understand. Being close to me is equal to being popular, and I don't think they accept me for just the way I am."

Ron saw a side of her he had never seen before. He sat down and patted her shoulder. "I'm so sorry you had to go through that. They shouldn't have been your friends if they wanted to be popular too. Hey, why don't we be your friends?"

"What..?"

"Yeah!" Bob stepped in. "You actually seem cool to begin with and we promise we would never treat you like them."

"HOLD IT!"

Another girl walked in and saw them. "Ophee, why are you talking to those freaks??"

"Who are you calling freaks??" Ron said angrily, but Bob held his arm. "Don't. You know anger affects your form switch," he said softly.

"Form what?"

"Oh you don't know? While you were gone, those two switched into non-human freaks. That was a drama for some time ain't it? And poor Ron tried to run away out of shame and pain. Pathetic."

"JUST QUIT IT! YOU SAY IT AS IF YOU DID NOTHING WRONG! YOU AND MY FRIENDS, YOU USE ME FOR YOUR OWN GAIN AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW I FEEL!" Opheebop yelled out, taking the girl aback.

"What the? Ew no! We're friends, we'll never do it to you!"

"Okay listen up! Opheebop told us everything so there is nothing to hide. So shut up and stop acting like the good person here. She is our friend now and we would never treat her the way you do," Bob said trying to calm himself as he spoke. Opheebop looked in admiration.

"Tsk, whatever. You have no idea. You wouldn't want to be friends with them...creatures," She walked off.

"Thanks for trying to stand up for me," Opheebop said gently. But what do you mean form switch?"

"Uhhhh... we'll explain everything," Ron said, in a slightly embarrassed tone.

"Um...okay?"

"As long as you say we're friends for real?"

Opheebop smiled.

"Okay."