16: My little secret

Evelyn desperately tried to get rid of the image that has been unfolding in her mind. She recalls every night the day it took place. She was floating on the water expecting Oliver to surface next, rather the pool under the influence of the dark night became darker, it took her a few seconds to notice it was blood. Just then Tim made it for the rescue bringing a lifeless Oliver out of the water, blood oozing out of his deep cut. 

She gathered as many towels as she could to stop the blood in panic. "Call 911." She heard someone cry out as Tim tried to keep Oliver alive. 

The night was cold but the metallic smell of blood kept everyone warm with fear. She got into the ambulance and watched Oliver being carried to an emergency room, clothes and hair stained wet with blood. 

It was not supposed to go that way, it was a tiny humiliation of nothing that sparked an emergency issue. 

Evelyn dragged herself to the hospital but the guards would not let anyone in, Mrs. Clare promised to let him know when he woke up from the coma. The guilt was eating her up so badly that she could barely sleep. Maybe she had gone too far. 

That same guilt brought her to Oliver's doorstep with a series of books. 

She met two guards who verified her belongings before letting her in, again she met more bodyguards and soon Mrs. Clare. 

"Miss Ada. You're welcome." 

"Morning ma'am. I received your call on Oliver's return and I was urged to come here. Can I see him?" She asked. 

Mrs. Clare gave her a stiff look, "Hm, I wouldn't like you to disturb him," she said. 

"Sure, ma'am. Just wanna kept him company." 

"Don't remind him of that night he still has nightmares and burns up sometimes. The doctor said he would be good in no time if he relaxes and remains stress-free." 

Evelyn felt a pang in her heart, "I get it, ma'am." She nodded. 

Mrs. Clare escorted her to Oliver's room and knocked obtaining a small come-in after a pause. She went in first leaving a nervous Evelyn to herself. 

"He doesn't know." She muttered comforting herself. 

Mrs. Clare came out leaving the door open so Evelyn could come in, once done she shut the door. 

Evelyn cleared her throat, causing Oliver to look up, he had a pale face, and all of a sudden he didn't look so threatening except for the light glare. His olive hair for once was loose and pouring on his shoulders, he was in pajamas, a plane white, he still had the drip connected to his vein and he held a book, a very big one. His hazel eyes now different for a reason she couldn't tell watched her closely. 

"I was not informed of your arrival," Oliver said. 

Evelyn took some steps closer, "I'm here to study. And don't you say you can't. I know you aren't reading that book but hiding documents from Mrs. Clare." She said as she pulled a chair for herself. 

Oliver looked surprised. He quickly shut the book. "Damn it." He muttered. 

Evelyn burst out laughing, "I get you, Mr. Money bag. You can't do without working." She continued laughing. As he blushed slightly. 

She dropped the books she brought on the nightstand. "I thought you would need to distract yourself. And I also wanna apologize for what happened."

Oliver raised a brow, "how is that?" 

Evelyn drew in a breath against her wishes. "I shouldn't have invited you to that party knowing you wouldn't appreciate it." 

Oliver rolled his eyes. "It wasn't your fault. Thought next time don't try to get me into something I don't want to do." Oliver said.