18 - Lots of Work. Lots of Time.

--TESSIA--

The day after I arrived in Xyrus was busy. I got up early to do my daily exercises, and then visited Gran's office to debrief my first adventure.

"Hahaha, the fight with the queen was a good lesson in pushing your limits, but rest assured you were never in any danger."

"What do you mean?"

"A team of A-rank adventurers can easily manage fighting a couple queen snarlers."

Then it hit me. The party must have been holding themselves back to push Art and I harder. They must have been shocked to see me overexerting myself so suddenly. Next time, I'll not push myself so hard. That headache was awful.

I spent a while getting feedback and advice from Gran before leaving to meet with the rest of the student council. As I listened to their progress since I left. I hadn't been gone long, and there hadn't been much opportunity to make any progress in the student council.

Still, it was frustrating how difficult it was to push any policy change, especially the important ones. We did a bit of information gathering and found that the rate of bullying was at an all-time low, but still wasn't at the standard that I needed to protect my incoming kin.

I sighed again, knowing that there wasn't much I could do, especially now that it was election season, and I was out on adventures. I had that Gran knew that election season would any progress impossible and opted to send me out during that time.

We discussed our plans for next year for a while. While our discussions were fruitful in the sense of coming up with for effective policies, we knew we needed a miracle to be able to implement them.

After the meeting, I had a bit of free time before my next plan, so I traveled to my training room. I warmed up with Gran's exercises before moving into training my manipulation of vines. I realized that in dungeons, most of the work is killing lots of creatures rather than fighting in duels. I had a good skillset for fighting multiple enemies, but I needed to practice doing it.

Thus, I spent a large portion of the afternoon training vine manipulation and selecting spells that were better suited for fighting many enemies at once. I saw some marginal progress, but I knew that it would take a lot more than a couple of hours to reach the level I wanted to be at.

Then, it was time for my last appointment. Fortunately, this one wasn't nearly as serious as the other two I had today. I excitedly reached the restaurant in Xyrus city to see Amara already there, waiting for me.

"Hey, Amara. I hope I didn't keep you waiting too long."

"Not too long at all, I arrived just a few minutes ago."

Amara and I were the only elven females we knew in this country, and we had bonded over this fact. We were also much more focused on getting stronger than many people we knew and would train together occasionally.

We were seated at a small table, facing each other. After looking over the menu for a while, we ordered our food and chatted while we waited.

"How's class been for you?"

"Oh, good. I've been learning a lot. Turns out humans have a slightly distinct perspective on magic that has led me to quite a few discoveries. I can't imagine how powerful we could get if we combined the knowledge of elves, dwarves, and humans."

"We can only hope that happens sometime in our lifetimes."

"Sure, sure, keep being pessimistic. There's something amazing happening here, you know?"