Chapter 3

You continue to work on the scene, two bodies found together, two young women.

You are trying to concentrate on the job, they're both in their mid-20s, both brunettes...you can feel eyes on you but you don't turn around to see who they belong to, you know.

You needed to concentrate, concentrate on your job, of solving this case and helping these two women.

You needed to concentrate but all you can do is think of those eyes that are on you, burning into you, opening your body and pulling your soul out from deep within your being.

If you close your eyes tight enough, you can still see the slight silhouette of Gail in your bed, snuggled under the covers, her shoulders and chest on show for you and only you. You can't help but remember the night before, that night had been one of the best nights you two had had together, if you had known how good Gail would feel under you, how shocked she was that she was actually good at "the lesbian stuff" (as she had put it), you would have done it a lot sooner than you had.

You could remember how she trailed her hand down your stomach, frailing fire with each touch, and how she had then moved her hand...

You are pulled from the memory by someone shouting your name and then there was a bouncing redhead in front of you.

"Holly, oh my god, you know I thought it was you! I can't believe it, do you know how happy I am to see you! Does Gail know? Stupid question of course she does."

Chloe, of course, it was Chloe.

Chloe looked around and spotted Gail in the short distance, talking to the witnesses that had found the bodies.

Shit the bodies.

You had almost forgotten where you were.

Chloe waved at Gail and pointed at you and even from here you could see Gail roll her eyes.

"How are you doing Chloe?"

Chloe turns back to you and smiles, in a weird way, you had missed her. She was one of the ones that had made an effort to get to know you during your and Gail's short romance (as well as Traci, but Traci was different, you had known her separately to the group, to Gail).

"I'm good thank you, I can't believe you're back! You should come to the Penny tonight, most of us are going to be there, even Gail. Please say you'll come."

Her smile reached from ear to ear and you found yourself smiling back at her.

"If I'm not stuck at the lab, I will definitely swing by."

Chloe does a little jump and clap.

"Amazing, we have so much to catch up on. I will see you later, don't be too late, Gail doesn't come out much anymore and never stays longer than 9."

That took you by surprise, you risk a glance at Gail and she's looking at the two of you, almost glaring at Chloe, who is still talking at you.

"Anyway, we will finish this later. Good to see you Holly."

You smile and say goodbye and turn back to the bodies.

By the time you are done gathering evidence and signalling that the bodies were ready to be taken back to the lad, Gail was nowhere to be seen. Out of nowhere, your heart feels a little heavy, you needed to get yourself under control by the evening, actually, you needed it to stop wanting something that might not be yours anymore.

The day passes slowly and you find yourself looking at the clock more times than you would like to admit.

At 5 you close the lid on your laptop and pack it into its bag, gather your things and leave the lab.