Chapter 4 // The Saltwater Room

Song: The Saltwater Room- Owl City
~~~~~~~~~~

Carl and I shared a tent while Lori and Rick shared another one. Carl and I were both having trouble sleeping but then we talked about some memories that we had together. That put him right to bed.

I still couldn't fall asleep. I quietly unzipped the tent and then got out. I zipped it back and stood up. I didn't know what to do.

I spotted Glenn on top of the RV. I couldn't see his face, but I knew it was him by his hat.

"Glenn." I whispered as I walked to the RV. "Yeah?" He asked. "What are you doing?" I asked, going up the ladder and sitting beside him.

"Just keeping watch." He answered. "I'm sorry about earlier. For sticking a gun to your face." I said. "It's cool." He said.

"You do this every night?" I ask. Glenn nodded. "And you like it? It's so boring up here." I say. "Yeah, it is boring. But I just like to look up at the stars."

I looked up to see the stars in the night sky. It was beautiful. "Hey. About before. Were you- you know- flirting? With me?" He asked. I look at him to see him looking back at me.

"What? No. What? Um. I should go to bed now okay." I say. I was so embarrassed. I climbed down the ladder and walked back to the tent.

"Alex?" Glenn asked. I turned around to see him laughing. "Yeah?" I ask. "Goodnight." He chuckles. "Goodnight Glenn." I smile.
~~~~~~~~~~~
"Alex, Carl, wake up." Lori says. "Why?" I say, keeping my eyes closed. "For breakfast. Like mama always used to say, Don't miss breakfast because if you do, you'll get sick." She says.

"Mama never used to say that." I opened my eyes. "I know but I'm saying it so get up." She says. I laugh and Carl and I get up.

After we finish our breakfast, we sat outside. "Tag! You're it!" Carl says, poking me. I chased him around until I caught up to him. We sat on the grass.

"Here. A present from yours truly." I say, pulling a candy bar out of my pocket. "You're the best aunt ever!" Carl said, eating it. "I know."

"Carl! What are you eating?" Lori asks. "Nothing." Carl lies. I giggled. "No candy now. It's too early." She said.

"Yeah Carl, no candy." I said, taking the candy from him. when Lori looked away, I gave it back to him.

"Alex!" I hear someone call. I turned around to see Glenn motioning me over. "Be right back." I said to Carl as I stood up.

"Go see your boyfriend." Carl says. Shocked, I turned back around to him. "That's not my boyfriend, punk." I say. "But I know you like him." He said. "You shut your speaking hole, okay?" I said. Carl giggled.

"Hey Glenn. What's up?" I asked. "I'm going on a run today to another pharmacy. You wanna come? It'll be a great way for me to show you your way around." Glenn said.

"Sure." I said. "Alright." Glenn smiled. "We're leaving in a sec so be ready." "Okay."

I put my knife and gun in a holster that Rick gave me. I kissed Carl on his forehead. "I'll be back, okay?" I tell him. "Okay." "I love you." I say. "I love you too."

"Ready?" Glenn asked. "Yep." I answer.