Chapter 45 - As Fast As You Can

"You've been quiet cariña."

I didn't mean to eavesdrop on their conversation but Marco's voice traveled from the cabin of the truck.

"Just never liked going on these types of runs." I heard Reya let out a deep sigh.

I wondered if she was having the same thoughts as me.

There was already a live, trapped hunter available.

Marco reached over and held her hand and I can't help the soft smile that appeared on my lips. It faded quickly.

What would Marco think if he knew?

Reya shared the same protective instinct as her father. Beneath her firm personality, she possessed a caring disposition evident by the way she spoke to the camp members. She always lent a listening ear to their concerns and offered assurance where she could. She was good. I knew if it came down to it, she would do the right thing or so I hoped.

Waves crashed against the shoreline, rolling the tiny sea stones to make a clacking sound.

"Estamos aquí," Marco hollered, hitting the roof of the cabin, "Look alive princesas."

The militia began dismounting the truck.

"Here, let me help you." A hand stretched out to me.

"Thanks," I said, taking the hand to lower myself down. The prominent smell of salt on the wind hit me instantly.

We were at the Brighton Pier. Earlier, Bawden suggested that we'd have better luck trapping a lone hunter here than in the main parts of the city, where the hunters were always found in groups that sometimes outnumbered the militia three fold.

"My name's Arjoon." The boy smiled shyly. He looked about my age, maybe younger. Arjoon was hollow-cheeked with angular features, a lanky but lean build and a cinnamon complexion. Topped by wavy midnight hair that fell right above his brows. He looked... Beautiful, was the only word that came to mind.

"Hailey," I responded with a smile.

Something about Arjoon made me feel that I could trust him immediately, or maybe he had one of those faces.

I heard one of the men in front of us scoff before looking over his shoulder.

"Don't even try Arj," he looked at the boy next to me, "That's Romero's girl."

I hated that my heart skipped a beat at his comment.

"I'm not," I shook my head.

Ignoring my objection, he just smiled at Arjoon before looking forward again.

"I wasn't," Arjoon spoke and my attention shifted back to him.

"Trying anything." An awkward look spread across his face, "You're new to the team, thought I'd make you feel welcomed and all." His voice was soft, wavering at times.

I smiled at the way he spoke, "I appreciate it."

We walked together, following the rest towards the pier. There were twelve of us total. The gloomy coastline stretched for miles. Just next to the pier was a marina of abandoned boats, their bows knocked against the docks as the winds danced between them like a mischievous spirit.

Flocks of seagulls glided above, their squawking songs and the cracking of sails were unsettling for some reason as we neared the pier.

We stepped onto the wooden floorboards, our boots clunking against it as we gathered around the entrance. I watched as they brought the cage to rest at the centre. It took six people to offload it.