Chapter 8 Crash

Lucas, Tawny, and Reese had been flying for about an hour, the two girls asleep. "Hey Tawny?!" Luke called through the headset. "Think your friends have found us!"

Tawny shot up looking wildly out the side window as she pulled her sister close. "How did they find us?!" She screamed frustrated and scared.

Lucas shook his head unable to answer as he tried desperately to evade the plane behind them. "I hate to break this to you sweetheart but we're at a serious disadvantage here!"

"So what else is new?!" Reese said sarcastically trying hard not to show how terrified she truly was.

Lucas veered to the left shots ringing out behind them. "Hang on ladies!" He shouted over the roared of the chopper, plane, and gunfire.

Tawny pushed Reese back into the seat strapping her in quickly. "Hang on sissy." she said kissing her hair gently.

The helicopter rattled as shots peppered it's sides. "Crap!" Lucas shouted.

"What!?" Tawny yelled fearfully. "crap what?! What's wrong?!"

"Well remember when I said we're at a disadvantage here?" Lucas said breathlessly trying to keep the chopper in the air. "See the difference between a helicopter and a plane is a plane wants to remain airborne. That's how it's designed how it works even without an engine you can land a plane relatively smoothly." Lucas grunted as he messed with the things on his dash checking his readings and pulling hard on the stick steering the chopper. "A helicopter, not so much. If a plane is the bird of aviation a helicopter is the bee. There's no reason it should be able to fly. It's not aerodynamic it's fat and awkward. A helicopter quite literally beats the air to fly. Ultimately what all that means is it's easy to cause us to not be able to fly, shoot the right piece wait till we run out of gas anything really...the reason I'm struggling now is they nicked our rutter won't be able to keep her up much longer." He said the last bit quietly resolutely looking tawny in the eyes before glancing sadly at Reese. "I'll try to get us down as gently as I can but even then...."

As he started the descent more shots hit the tail of the chopper causing it to veer wildly. "Hang on!" He shouted as the helicopter spun, the ground rising up quickly to meet them.

_________________________

Tony woke early, the sun barely cresting the horizon. He groaned as he rolled from the cot he'd spent the night on and stumbled towards the smell of food. "Something smells edible." He grunted tiredly.

"Morning, yeah figured you'd wanna get an early start so made an early breakfast." Paul replied stirring eggs over an open fire.

Tony nodded as he sat on a nearby log rubbing his eyes tiredly.

"You know," Paul began in a reassuring tone, "if anyone can take care of your girls it's Luke. You couldn't ask for a better guy to look after anyone. If I had a kid I'd trust him with their life."

"No offense bud but that's real easy to say when you don't have a kid." Tony replied a lump catching in his throat. "When you get a kid you realize you barely trust yourself with their lives let alone someone else."

Paul smiled slightly unsure of how to reply. "Well I'd trust him with my life then... I hope that's some sort of comfort for you."

Tony nodded and stood. "Thanks for letting me sleep here pal, I'll be going now."

Paul offered his hand, shaking Tony's, "I hope you find them quickly."

"Thanks me too." Tony replied before climbing into his iron man suit and shooting into the sky.

Tony flew west over the trees. His eyes scanning the ground for any sign of them. He's been in the air for an hour already he knew the chopper couldn't have stayed airborne for much longer without refueling. "Anything Jarvis?" He questioned eyeing the seemingly endless expanse of trees.

"There appears to be a wreckage about a mile further sir." The robotic voice responded shortly.

Tony shot into the direction Jarvis had indicated fear coursing through his veins. As he landed in the clearing he collapsed to his knees unable to go any further. "Jarv-Jarvis...are they?" He choked out breathing heavily.

"There's no one on board sir."

"No one? So they were thrown?" Tony questioned searching through the surrounding brush.

"There are no indications of anyone being ejected sir."

Tony breathed a sigh of relief, "so if they weren't thrown and they're not here then they walked away?"

"Presumably sir. The footprints go off in that direction." The AI responded highlighting the trail on screen for Tony.

Tony headed in the direction of the trail.

"Sir?" Jarvis said interrupting his movement.

"What Jarvis?" Tony questioned distractedly.

"There appears to be only two sets of tracks..."

Tony froze fear and worry once again coursing through him. "So who's missing?" He inwardly hoped it was Luke no matter how bad he felt for wishing so, his daughters meant everything to him.

"I am unable to determine from the prints other than it being one of the women."

Tony gasped for air tears escaping from the corners of his eyes. Surely there was another explanation, he couldn't have lost one of his babies he just couldn't.

_________________________

Yay new chapter for you 😉 I hope you're enjoying this story is love to hear from you guys. Anywho see ya soon