Chapter 6: Freya Jade

Kai wasn't thrilled about their spontaneous plan to sneak in and get the memory. However, he was thrilled to have a way to maybe infiltrate Freya's crew. Freya apparently kept the memory on a necklace, but Jack hadn't seen her wear it. They assumed it may be in her room. They had to figure out a way to get close to her. They had surmised a plan, one that could potentially work if the timing was exact.

She and her brother spent time catching up a little as they traveled through the Underbelly. Duke was on guard perched on her shoulder but had affectionately nudged against Jack a few times. Jack was excited to hear their mum still had her shop and her dad still worked for the same hardware company.

"I'm nervous to see mum and dad." He looked down, "I must have been a real shame to them."

Samantha shook her head, "No, Jack. They've been looking for you. I didn't tell them I was coming here because I was sure they'd try to come too. I thought it would be better as a surprise when you come home."

He nodded, "The things I said about dad and about mum being a blood traitor, I must have hurt them."

"You were young and stupid. I forgive you if that makes a difference." She said smiling at him.

"So what about you? Other than being bloody amazing as an Editor-In-Chief, how are your trouble making friends? How's Ginny? Are you married? Any Kids?"

She looked at him with wide eyes. She neglected to tell him anything about her not having much of a social life, he didn't need to know what she'd given up.

"Sorry, too many questions. Sometimes when I had a few moments alone, I would imagine what everyone back home was doing. I always imagined you'd be an amazing journalist, and here you are, the greatest in the world. The Editor-In-Chief of the Daily Prophet, my little sister." He spoke with wild pride, something she had never known him to give.

"I also thought you'd be married and have a couple of little brats running around. Mum would love to have a bunch of grandkids running around and dad would deal with it." Jack and Samantha both chuckled. "I mean, I wasn't sure who you'd be married to. Maybe that Longbottom kid who'd always followed you around like a lost puppy, or one of those idiot Weasley boys." He rolled his eyes a little, "I'd have even been ok with the delinquent, since you and him did that whole radio program together. I just always imagined you surrounded by all your friends, having picnics and going to Quidditch matches. You know? Doing all those silly mundane activities people seem to enjoy."

"Well, I'm not married and no children, but I do throw the biggest Hogwarts Gazette Alumni Parties." She chuckled and scratched her neck. It hurt to think about if she were honest. "I buy out the whole Leaky Cauldron once a year. Two years ago I had the Weird Sisters perform, it was amazing."

"Wicked." Jack beamed with exceptional pride. "I never thought you'd be so cool Sammy."

"I wouldn't exactly say cool." She felt her face turning red.

"You two aren't together right?" Her brother asked nodding towards Kai who was just a bit ahead of them.

Samantha's thoughts fluttered back to their embarrassing tryst beside the fireplace just an hour before, "Merlin's beard no."

Her brother shrugged, "Sorry to ask, he's just your type that's all."

Samantha stopped walking, "I have a type?"

"You haven't changed at all Sammy." He smiled widely. "Still oblivious to your own life. Always more interested in what's on the page."

"I don't have a type." Samantha sat to thinking, her few romances all seemed impossibly different from each other.