Chapter 14: Luna's Observations

Samantha had tried to sleep, but couldn't. Her head continued it's throb and her shakes were beyond uncomfortable.

She spent the night staring into the darkness and just listened to the world around her. The window was open and it was a welcome break to hear crickets instead of Diagon Alley. Duke was asleep somewhere above her in the bed's canopy and she could hear small snores from the little dragon.

She eventually did sleep, but it wasn't helpful for her headache. If anything, she awoke to a worse headache and wanted to roll over and go back to sleep. She instead tried coffee to erase the pain which had now expanded to her shoulders. Duke was curled around her neck and shoulders, as if he knew she was in pain.

Neville sat across from her and seemed quietly frustrated as he read that morning's Daily Prophet. The headline had been switched from the one about her brother to the more interesting:

Editor-In-Chief Of The Daily Prophet, Samantha Fyre Attacked

Samantha had been alright with the headline and the attention it gave to finding Jade. It was Samantha's own personal statement about the attack had been published, clearing up everything with the hopes it would send Freya a message that she wasn't to be messed with.

However, Samantha wasn't thrilled when she noticed that Rita Skeeter had somehow still managed to publish a gossip piece about the ordeal. Skeeter surmised that Samantha had to have put Freya Jade into a jealous rage. Samantha had obviously taken Kai Jones as one of her many lovers and if Freya Jade couldn't have him, no one could.

On any other occasion she would have found it funny, but as her upper body throbbed in pain she couldn't get herself to laugh. She also couldn't finish reading the paper, her headache was making her eyes strain.

"Oh put that rubbish away Neville." Augusta insisted sipping on her own coffee.

Neville didn't put the paper down.

"Not that your writing is rubbish dear." Augusta looked at her with a softer expression, "It's that Skeeter woman, she is an ungrateful slag. To write about her own boss that way, bold but stupid I say."

"Skeeter is not getting a Christmas bonus this year." Samantha insisted wondering why her coffee looked blurry. "At least she didn't say anything negative about Hermione."

Before Neville could argue with her,  Augusta remarked looking out the window, "It seems we have a visitor. That little Lovegood woman I believe." 

Samantha and Neville both stood up and looked out over the lawn. Duke, shocked by the sudden movement flew off of her shoulder and out the window. Luna was standing at the edge of the magical enchantments. She was looking around and waving.

Augusta stayed sipping her coffee as the two ran out to let Luna in. Neville stepped out of the enchantments to question their old friend before letting her in.

Luna wrapped her arms tightly around Samantha's neck. "I was so worried about you."

"I'm alright Luna." Samantha said but hugged her friend. Samantha wondered why she sounded like she was underwater.

Luna took Samantha's head into her hands and started tilting it side to side. "You were right Neville. Slow acting poison for sure."

"Poison?" Samantha asked.

"Have you had a headache?" Luna asked touching Samantha's forehead. "Blurry vision?"

"Yeah, but I get headaches a lot." Samantha qualified, Luna's hand felt cold. "It's from straining my eyes looking over papers."

Luna looked back at Neville, "You said she only slept a few hours and she'd seemed disoriented?"

Neville nodded, but Samantha couldn't really see him, he'd almost disappeared really.