Chapter 1: Max

-Max POV, 1st Person-

I was very lost.

I was supposed to be headed to my nana's house, but I couldn't find my way. And my arms were getting very tired, with my bag full of my stuff from home.

That was when I saw the blue heeler. She saw me, and walked up to me.

"Are you lost?" she asked. I wasn't sure what to say. She was a complete stranger, but she felt somehow familiar.

"Who wants to know?" I replied. She looked about twelve or thirteen.

"I'm Bluey." She seemed too... open about her name. This didn't exactly feel right. Who would just give their name to someone they just met on the street?

"I'm... Max," I finally said. "I'm looking for my nana's house, but got lost."

"Maybe my mum and dad can help you," Bluey told me. "They're really good at helping people." She looked in thought for a second. "But they're not home right now. They're picking my sister Bingo up from her friends house. Do you wanna come to my house and wait for them?"

"...I-I guess," I stammered. I wasn't expecting this.

"Great! My house is just this way." She led me down the street. "You don't look like you're from around here."

"I'm from America, but I'm visiting my nana here in Australia." I'm not sure why I was suddenly so open with her, but it just felt... right.

"That's nice."

When we finally got to her house, sure enough, there was no car outside. She opened the door, and I gazed in amazement at the interior of the building we had just entered. It was much bigger than the apartment I had been living in back in America, with my guardian.

Not long after we had entered the house, I heard the doorbell ring, and Bluey ran to answer it.

"You're back!" she shouted. Cringing at the shout, I made my way to the front door, where I could see two red heelers, one adult and one probably about ten, along with an adult blue heeler who looked like Bluey. They stopped when they saw me.

"Bluey, who's that?" the adult blue heeler asked. I would have answered myself, if not for the stray toy I had tripped over. Several contents of my bag fell out onto the floor, and the older red heeler bent down to pick up a photo that had made it's way in front of her. She looked from the picture to me, then to the picture and back again. Then she uttered six words that changed my life forever.

"Bandit. Our Max has come home."