002: Falling Backwards

As It Was: Chapter TwoHoldin' me back

Holdin' me back

༺ . ༻

     Nothing like waking up to a face full of steam.

     Oh, did he actually say that out loud?  He guessed he might have after he saw the look on Carlos's face, who was sitting on top of his legs as Ricky rubbed the gunk from his eyes with knuckles, his body seeming to reject each movement.  If he could lay in that top bunk bed forever and just sleep the summer away, he would.

     "Your bed is closest to the outlet," Carlos explained.  "Very prime setup.  So, what's the deal?  I thought you were gonna be with young Cersei Lannister, jet skiing and sightseeing and terrorizing innocent townspeople."

     Ricky shook his head.  Carlos wasn't really mistaken.  "Yeah, those plans are off."

     "Do you wanna talk about it?"

     "Not even a little," Ricky sighed as he sat up.

     "Me neither.  I was just being polite.  Did you know your ex-girlfriend is here?" Carlos asked.  Even though he seemed somewhere far off, Carlos would always ask Ricky about his love life.  No matter what else was going on in their lives at the moment, romance was a constant for the two boys.

     Ricky's eyebrow twitched as he made the mistake of asking who.

     "Miss Montez, the girl who sat on your lap for the last year?  Two dazzling showmances featured on East High's Instagram page?  I thought they'd have to do surgery to remove you guys from being attached at the hip.  When you kissed her bare shoulder at her winter party, I thought Seb was going to pass out," Carlos rambled.

     "Right..." Ricky trailed.  Suddenly his throat had run dry.  He knew he was supposed to see Megara as his ex-girlfriend, per their dating contract, and in some weird way he guessed that he did, but he also saw her as something else entirely.  There wasn't a word yet invented for it.  She was just his Megara.

     "You good?" Carlos asked, steam still hanging in the air.

     "Yeah, I guess I'm just trying not to focus on all of that right now," Ricky said as earnestly as he could muster.

     "And I cannot focus on anything but auditions right now," Carlos added.

     "Auditions?"

     Carlos didn't answer Ricky's question.  "I wonder what I'll get.  Or what I want."

     "What are the three main guys' names in Camp Rock again?"

     An anxious look passed over Carlos's face as he looked his friend in the eye.  "Look, Ricky, I know at school you always somehow fall backwards into a lead role, but you can't Zefron your way through auditions this time."