twenty-five

25

          THE GIRL WHO WAS LOOKING BACK AT ME looked extremely beautiful with her dark brown hair styled up into a bun on top of her head with a few strands of her hair framing her heart shaped face, her face was covered with enough make up to cover her blemishes, her blue eyes popped with the light pink eye shadow with a little bit of silver blended in, her lips looked plump and pink, matching with her black with silver studs dress. This was not Natalie.

          I couldn’t believe Mum had done such a great job, pampering me to perfection for the prom tonight. Of course, usually girls get ready for their prom with their girl friends while I was getting ready with my mother’s help. Okay, this shows, I needed to find some girl friends. A few minutes from now, I would be on my way with Liam and George to the prom at our school. My head couldn’t accept the fact that I would actually go to a prom while all those years, I thought I would never get myself ready for this kind of event.

          “Natalie, you looked gorgeous.” Mum complimented me while clapping her hands happily. Obviously she was happy with her handiwork on the dress and the makeover. I swear she was more excited than I was.

          “Thanks, Mum.” My feet walked towards Mum to give her a hug, “Wow, I’m going to prom.”

          Mum caressed my cheek with her thumb, “I’m so happy for you.”

          The sound of our house’s doorbell ringing interrupted our conversation. From my bedroom, I heard the front door being unlocked by Dad who was waiting downstairs. I supposed he’ll have a word or two to George before I left this house. Mum left my room and walked down the stairs to greet the two boys downstairs in our living room.

          Taking a last look on the reflection of my mirror, I grabbed my silver clutch before exiting the room. I was forced to wear these high heels by Mum because she said it was perfect time to get use to wearing them. The silver high heels clacked on the wooden stairs as I descended. I know my parents; Liam and George would be waiting for me at the bottom of the stairs like in those chick flick movies. It's corny I know.

          Just like I had expected, all of the people who were standing in front of me were smiling when I was at the bottom of the stairs. George took a step forward to put the corsage on my wrist while I fumbled to put the matching white flower in George’s chest pocket. He took my hand as my feet hit the floor of the living room. I took my time to examine him, he looked handsome as usual but for the night he wasn’t wearing his spectacles. Mum was there with a camera in hand to take a picture of us. I rolled my eyes, thinking at the thought of her forwarding the picture to our family. Oh my. Liam was there as well but he was dateless.

          Dad didn’t say anything to me the whole time he was there. I supposed it was one of those moments when they just realized that their daughters are growing up etc. After taking about a gazillion pictures—Liam had join in the pictures as well. We piled into the limo that both of the boys had rented for the prom.

          When I was finally settled in the limo, my mouth was wide open in surprise when I saw the girl that had been missing for quite a while, “Oh my gosh, Arianna! Where the bloody hell have you been?”

          The black haired girl who was now supporting a few purple steaks in her hair only shrugged her shoulders and smiled at me, “Let’s just say I was spending my time with my uncle who doesn’t live here.”