Chapter Four: Into the Woods

"Oh this is nice." Wild propped his chin up on his hands and looked at them, kicking his legs into the air behind him.

"What do you guys want to do first?"

"Hmm. Sleep." Till mumbled.

"Ha. Fair enough Till. And you Jack?"

Jack shrugged. "Whatever you like." He said quietly.

Wild gave him a disbelieving eyebrow. "You sure? You seem pretty tired yourself."

Well, a nap does sound nice actually."

Wild leaned over and ruffled his hair affectionately before standing up with a stretch.

"Right-O then. You two nap I'll just..."

He cut himself off with a yawn as he sunk back onto the bed.

"Hmm. Integrate myself into the local community."

Jack looked pointedly at Wild who smiled at himself.

"Well I might rest my eyes for a moment. Whose sharing the beds Till?"

She snored.

"That answers that." Wild flopped down and rolled over onto his side.

Jack settled in a respectful distance away and closed his eyes, the deep breathing of his companion sending him off to sleep.

Wild yawned again and settled into a more comfortable position. "Yeah, won't sleep, I'll just..."

Till woke up an hour later with a start. "Hmm. I needed that." She sighs. "What time is it? Seven o'clock."

She looked over at Jack and Wild. "Aww, bless your hearts."

Well, she reasoned, they weren't going anywhere so, why not do some exploring?

A small walk around the town led to the discovery of a restaurant, a grocery store and a map to the lighthouse. So pretty successful all in all.

When she went back to the motel, she noticed with a frown that the receptionist was still in the same spot, slumped over on the desk. Business must have been slow today.

"So what was your name again?" She asked him, leaning on the counter herself. 

"Albert Hawke. And you are?"

"Amelia Till, but my friends just call me Till. So do you own this place?"

"Yeah. It's just me and my daughter Mary now. But Mary doesn't want to run the hotel, she's more of a writer."

"Ah cool. Fiction?"

"More non-fiction. She's a clever girl." He added, looking fondly at something on his desk.

Till followed his gaze and smiled when she saw a photo of a girl with dark hair in a wavy bob. She was looking down at the camera, a small smile on her face, almost as though she knew more than she was willing to tell you. She had a chain necklace around her neck.

Till nodded at the photo and looked back up at Mr. Hawke.

"Yeah my friend, Wild, he's a private investigator. Jack is a constable and I'm just a receptionist too, but I'm aiming to be a police officer."

"One day." He agreed with a nod. "So what brings you three here?"

"The mysterious lights." Admitted Till sheepishly. "There's talk of aliens and things, we had to come check it out!"

"I see. And what would you do, if it turns out there's more to this town than rumours?"

"Well, I haven't really thought about that. We'd just think it's very cool, I suppose. Only have to do something about it if it's hurting someone, right?"